The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Tomato sauce in brew pot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 83

You cook salsa?????????

Real salsa is fresh

Back on topic

If your brewpot is Stainless you are good to go, if aluminum the pH of tomatoes is dangerously close to leaching the aluminum into the sauce(not good) IIRC

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #12
GreenMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your pot will be fine as long as it gets cleaned really well. I have cooked all sorts of stuff in mine with no change in the beer that comes out of it. I am the only one that cooks in it though as I don't trust other peoples cleaning to get it clean enough for my beer.

Cooked salsa is better salsa then fresh. It pulls out the flavors in everything that is in it. Fresh salsa has its place but can't compare to how good cooked salsa can be.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:12 AM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Someone needs to head over to the cooking and pairing section fo the forum and start a "cooking salsa" thread complete with recipes...

Heck, you all can start a cooking vs uncooking salsa thread for all I care, just als long as recipes are invloved...I lurrrvvvvveeeee me some good salsa...even bad salsa okay in my book!!!

Get over there...start threading...NOW!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-20-2009, 12:17 AM   #14
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Someone needs to head over to the cooking and pairing section fo the forum and start a "cooking salsa" thread complete with recipes...

Heck, you all can start a cooking vs uncooking salsa thread for all I care, just als long as recipes are invloved...I lurrrvvvvveeeee me some good salsa...even bad salsa okay in my book!!!

Get over there...start threading...NOW!!!

OK be there in a minute

Old 01-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
HenryHill

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm not seeing an issue. Tomatoes are acidic; they will even clean the pot of anything that didn't come off before, depending on with what and how you clean it after brewing.

To passivate SS in an industrial manner, it is treated with acid.

Stainless can be passivated naturally with time and the oxygen in the air.

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB-1.html

Palmer:

"Stainless steel is stainless because of the protective chromium oxides on the surface. If those oxides are removed by scouring, or by reaction with bleach, then the iron in the steel is exposed and can be rusted. Stainless steel is also vulnerable to contamination by plain carbon steel, the kind found in tools, food cans, and steel wool. This non-stainless steel tends to rub off on the surface (due to iron-to-iron affinity), and readily rusts. Once rust has breached the chromium oxides, the iron in the stainless steel can also rust. Fixing this condition calls for re-passivation.

Passivating stainless steel is typically accomplished in industry by dipping the part in a bath of nitric acid. Nitric acid dissolves any free iron or other contaminants from the surface, which cleans the metal, and it re-oxidizes the chromium; all in about 20 minutes. But you don't need a nitric acid bath to passivate. The key is to clean the stainless steel to bare metal. Once the metal is clean, the oxygen in the atmosphere will reform the protective chromium oxides instantly. The steel will nearly as passivated as if it was dipped in acid. Nitric acid passivation creates a more chromium-rich passive surface, but is not necessary for brewing use.

To passivate stainless steel at home without using a nitric acid bath, you need to clean the surface of all dirt, oils and oxides. The best way to do this is to use an oxalic acid based kitchen cleanser like those mentioned above, and a non-metallic green or white scrubby pad. Don't use steel wool, or any metal pad, even stainless steel, because this will actually promote rust. Scour the surface thoroughly and then rinse and dry it with a towel. Once you have cleaned it to bare metal it will re-passivate itself."

I'd do a tomato recipe before I would fry in my vessel...

Just make him give it the PBW, UBW, or Barkeeper's cleaning.... and something for the brewing fund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Quick Reply