Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Tomato sauce in brew pot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
count barleywine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Tomato sauce in brew pot

My roommate wants the real-deal pot for some nonsense he's making, can tomato sauce be concocted in my brew pot without adversely affecting my future brews or the pot itself? It is stainless steel. I'll search after I post 'cause I need to know quick. Thanks in advance brethren and sistren

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

sure no problem get yourself some Bar keeper's Friend to clean up with

Old 01-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
count barleywine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the quick response it is greatly appreciated. Guess he wins this round...

Old 01-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I sure as hell wouldn't let something as acidic as tomato sauce in the same pot I brew my precious barley water in...Bar keeper's friend or not...I personally wouldn't risk it...Tomato sauce is acidic and, well I personally wouldn't do it...I have pots I cook in and I have pots I brew in...and I don't cross polinate them.

Send him over to the nearest Dollar General, he can get a 5 gallon stainless pot or under 10 bucks...(that's my stovepot brew pot)

Then he can make his killer sauces to his heart's content, and leave your sacred brew kettle alone.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I sure as hell wouldn't let something as acidic as tomato sauce in the same pot I brew my precious barley water in...Bar keeper's friend or not...I personally wouldn't risk it...Tomato sauce is acidic and, well I personally wouldn't do it...I have pots I cook in and I have pots I brew in...and I don't cross polinate them.
Tomato sauce is usually in the 4.X range of pH so I wouldn't be worried about that, but I just don't know if I could do that. Tomato sauce in my brewpot... that's crazy-talk.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 01-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
chainsawbrewing

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i like salsa. i like it a lot. i've made 10 gallons of salsa in my brew kettle countless times, boiled on my banjo burner, cleaned it out, and brewed in it the same night. zero issues. i've also made a batch of salsa extra thick, and thinned it out with my "death by dunkel" and had some yummy alcoholic salsa.

my bar build

Old 01-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts

I dont think it would hurt your pot with proper cleaning. However, I guess it's the principle of the situation. Brewpot does not make sause.

What's tappening? :D

Old 01-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschatz View Post
I dont think it would hurt your pot with proper cleaning. However, I guess it's the principle of the situation. Brewpot does not make sause.
Yep....You can make yer goddam spegetti sauce in MY kettles when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsawbrewing View Post
i like salsa. i like it a lot. i've made 10 gallons of salsa in my brew kettle countless times, boiled on my banjo burner, cleaned it out, and brewed in it the same night. zero issues. i've also made a batch of salsa extra thick, and thinned it out with my "death by dunkel" and had some yummy alcoholic salsa.

TEN gallons of salsa countless times...Damn that is an impressive stat to keep on your bio. I also love salsa, but not sure what I would do w/ ten gallons? I'm a bit jealous of your salsa consumption.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
chainsawbrewing

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
TEN gallons of salsa countless times...Damn that is an impressive stat to keep on your bio. I also love salsa, but not sure what I would do w/ ten gallons? I'm a bit jealous of your salsa consumption.
we eat a lot of salsa, lol. plus i used to can it alot, and give it away to friends and family. now a days, i just make a few gallons at a time, and keep it in the fridge, and eat on it for a week, then make more the next week. we make home made tortillia chips every week too. buy one of those 100 packs of the little round corn tortillias, chop them i half, spray some butter on them, and cummin, and salt, put them on a baking sheet and throw em in the oven.

i'm pretty sure when i die, and they give me an autopsy, they'll find out that contrary to popular human belief, i'm in fact 80% beer and salsa instead of water, lol.

my bar build

Quick Reply