Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Was told NOT to use a counter flow chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
The local brewer was probably Jamil Z at Heretic, pushing his wonder-IC . I hear that thing rocks, never saw one myself. It's an IC but forces a whirlpool action with the return, thus creating the turbulence that is the limiting factor for ICs.
I actually have the equivalent system now. I have a 50' 1/2inch chiller and I whirlpool with my pump. I brewed my first beer with it on Saturday (Double IPA). We'll see how it turns out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3055 Times on 1925 Posts
Likes Given: 2593

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
I've never been able to wrap my head around why that would be any better than simply stirring the wort (gently) around the IC. That's what I used to do before I got the plate chiller, and it made a huge difference.
Not any better except you don't need to do it yourself. If you used a pump, like afr0byte, then it's exactly the same.

Jamil explains a ton here: http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php.

I have a Therminator and love it. The one MAJOR advantage the plate chillers have over other types (and it might be the only advantage) is that it is the most compact chilling solution. For homebrewers without large brewing sheds, the growing collection of gear scattered in our living space is an issue.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
I've never been able to wrap my head around why that would be any better than simply stirring the wort (gently) around the IC.
It doesn't work any faster as long as you are moving the wort at a similar velocity. The advantages are that it's hands-off (forearms will thank you) and can create a nice hop/trub cone in the pot center. Disadvantages are price (pump and whirlpool arm) and more stuff to clean/sanitize.

Quote:
As to sanitation, that's a worry in the back of my mind for the plate chiller but wouldn't stress me in the least with a CFC. No reason you can't keep a CFC clean and sanitized, it doesn't have the crevices of a plate chiller where stuff could (theoretically) build up.
I agree. I would definitely prefer a plate chiller over a CFC if I knew I could get every crevice clean. But without that guarantee, I'm sticking with a CFC.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Not any better except you don't need to do it yourself. If you used a pump, like afr0byte, then it's exactly the same.

Jamil explains a ton here: http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php.

I have a Therminator and love it. The one MAJOR advantage the plate chillers have over other types (and it might be the only advantage) is that it is the most compact chilling solution. For homebrewers without large brewing sheds, the growing collection of gear scattered in our living space is an issue.
Well, the immersion chiller fits in the pot, so it doesn't take up much more room (a little more vertical room obviously). I just liked it because it's easier to feel confident about my pump/hoses being clean without my plate chiller (Shirron) in the mix. Plus, it's easier to do beers with more hops without having a hop spider to clean.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1942 Times on 1404 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Nothing wrong with a CFC. I built one and it's the only thing I've ever used. However, do not like that I cannot clean the inside. I would rather use an IC if I could not recirculate the wort through it to sanitize it. If I were starting out and know what i know now, I'd have built an IC and called it good until I had a pump.

Now that I have a pump I'm looking forward to upgrading my CFC to a Plate Chiller for size and so I can bake in an oven to sterlize after rinsing it out.

If I had my pump actually set up (won't until my brew stand is built, sometime this fall it looks) I'd recirc for about 10 minutes to sanitize it then turn on the chilling water and run until the wort is cooled, then direct it into the fermenter.

Quick Reply