Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Tips on Sanitizing Lid on Primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
trubador
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tips on Sanitizing Lid on Primary

I've done it various ways including pouring iodophor or bleach solution that I used to sanitize primary bucket onto the lid several times. I just never feel comfortable about it b/c it is difficult to keep all parts of lid in contact with solution for very long.

any tips/ideas would be appeciated.

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

I just put the lid on the bucket and shake the sanitizer around. Wait 5 minutes and do it again. Then flip it over and place it in the sink.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-27-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
magno

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The lid should fit into the bucket, although the bucket will be temprarily deformed. Just flip the lid verticle and slide it in there. Sometimes mine sticks out of the sanitzer a bit, just rotate it a few times. The bucket will return to its original shape once you put the lid back on it.

- magno

Old 09-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by magno
The lid should fit into the bucket, although the bucket will be temprarily deformed. Just flip the lid verticle and slide it in there. Sometimes mine sticks out of the sanitzer a bit, just rotate it a few times. The bucket will return to its original shape once you put the lid back on it.

- magno
Careful. This can (and will) scratch the inside of the bucket. Mine has scars to prove it. Those scratches could harbor bacteria.

I only use my bucket for bottling, so I'm confortable taking the (minor) risk of infection.

-walker

Old 09-27-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I put mine inside also. I fill the bucket though.

If you squeeze the bucket there won't be as much friction when sliding the lid in. And let it soak longer.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #6
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Grab a trusty clean sponge and soak it in your solution of iodophor and water, and then gently wipe the lid down. P.S. It has not failed me yet.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I bought a wide rubbermaid container that I use between sessions to store all my assorted small-gear (hydrometers, hoses, clamps, airlocks, all that stuff). On brew day, I put everything that I need to have sanitized in there, add a capful of Iodophor and 2.5 gallons of water. It's wide enough for the bucket lid to fit in there as well. I'll then keep that around for when I need to sanitize something quickly during the brew (like my spoon after the wort has chilled and it's been sitting out for a while).

I also have one of those adjustable strainers that I use as well to get stuff out of solution and drying, although honestly I don't stress too much about getting my gear bone-dry before using it, usually a hard couple flicks of the wrist gets most of the solution off.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply