Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Tips on getting the most from your wort chiller.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #31
bhulter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
if high flow always cools better why do we need flow restrictors in the thermostat housing on our circle track car and drag boat? wide open flow they over heat, 50% flow restriction and they don't. the water absorbing heat isn't a myth

Internal combustion engines operate at max efficiency in a certain temperature range. A thermostat isn't put into a car to increase the heat transfer efficiency, its actually the opposite. It only cools when the engine is above its optimum temperature range, it then shuts itself off when the engine is too cool. The same could be said for the restrictor in your water passage. Although I have never heard of them I would assume that it has been calibrated to restrict the cooling efficiency to keep the engine temps up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #32
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxBrew View Post
I do this test every year in my class room.
I hope you don't also teach your students that you can make faster ice cubes if you start with hot water.

[that myth is my biggest pet peeve ever.]

Old 08-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #33
macleod319
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks JeffersonJ, I knew I wasn't using that example (specific heat transfer) 100% correctly, but it was the only one my brain could come up with at the time to possibly demonstrate the point I was trying to make.

I am trying to remember the practical calc's we used when comparing overall heat transfer in condensers (when you know the surface area, surface area, and flow characetristics, along with the enthalpy of the steam and cooling water). That would show you *without structural mods* (like I said in my first post) that using an immersion chiller with a fixed volume blah blah blah.

I'm going to go beat another dead horse. Yeast starters, anyone?

None of that matters as I'm going to brew some beer with some loud rock music.

Quick Reply