Throwing around ideas for DIY trub filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pentiumone133

Reaction score
I've started doing BIAB with RIMS recently and read alot about the increase in matter that accumulates in the boil kettle because there is a lack of natural filter like in a mash tun.

My idea is ti pump the output of my RIMS tube through some kind of a DIY filter. I am thinking of finding some kind of steel cylinder with removable top and punching two holes into it. One hole will the an unobstructed feed from the output of the pump, the other will be the output from the filter, and will have a bazooka tube fitted to it. Inside the vessel will be filled with some kind of filtering material. I am thinking rice hulls because they are cheap and could be dumped out and changed every time.

One problem I see with this for sure is that there will be a lot of loss with something like this, depending on the size of the vessel.

Any other ideas for something like this? Would this work at all?

You would be better off putting a false bottom in the kettle....then recircing through the bag. You would basically be recreating the conditions inside a Mash Tun, but still keep the system to one vessel. You could also ditch the RIMS at that point if you wanted to...and do a low heat direct-fire. If you use an element for your boil, you could just ensure that it sits below the FB.

I was thinking a multiple layer cheesecloth bucket and pump type of set up. Stretch several pieces of cheese cloth over several hoops and space them about 1 inch apart in a pail with a fittling on the bottom to allow it to drain back into the vessel. Cheesecloth comes in several grades and is reusable and washable.
Bob

Back