New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Thoughts on this wort chiller?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #21
edds5p0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

It seems that the jury is still out on which method is best as they all have pros and cons. My chiller takes a 15 minute bath in the boiling wort to address the possibility of introducing contamination. I like to chill my wort in the kettle and whirlpool in order to leave as much break behind as possible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #22
bwilliamson
Recipes 

Made an English Bitter Monday evening and this chiller of mine dropped the wort from boil to 65 degrees in 6 minutes. I had the chiller in a 7 gallon bucket of ice water and the wort was recirculated back into the boil kettle until cool. Worked we well as running the coolant through the chiller but the more I looked at it the more I realized how hard it is going to be to sanitize that thing correctly. It has a ton of surface area with little nooks and crannies.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #23
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 89

What you have is a cross circuited, corrosion proof, DX coil. A direct expansion coil. It's too bad it isn't a dual circuit. It has several times the heat rejection capacity than a non finned coil. As long as it was never hooked up to a condensing unit, you can circ wort through the inside. As long as it doesn't plug up with hop goop. The coil has low pressure drop which will slow down the flow a little. That's a good thing. The coils are brazed with 45% silver and nitrogen purged. They leave the factory nitrigen filled, the coils aren't coated on the inside. The idea you have with the PC fans is kinda how a closed circuit water tower works. The only difference is, the water tower sprays water across the coil, using the lowered wet bulb temp to help cool the fluid by water evaporation. What you're doing is nothing new. There are water towers designed to cool wort to a reasonable temp, before pumping it to the refrigerated chiller or jacketed fermentor. Yours is just in the mini scale range. It certainly, will work. If you want to get more Rube Goldberg-ian. Make a spray header out of pvc with a bunch of holes drilled through it and spray the ice water throught the fins.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #24
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilliamson View Post
Made an English Bitter Monday evening and this chiller of mine dropped the wort from boil to 65 degrees in 6 minutes. I had the chiller in a 7 gallon bucket of ice water and the wort was recirculated back into the boil kettle until cool. Worked we well as running the coolant through the chiller but the more I looked at it the more I realized how hard it is going to be to sanitize that thing correctly. It has a ton of surface area with little nooks and crannies.
That's pretty amazing cooling speed.

Quick Reply