*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Thoughts on this wort chiller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Thomsen1287
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That would make one badace prechiller if your worried at all about sanitation issues! You could permanently mount it in a bucket with fittings, would look sweet

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
Thomsen1287
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Plus it looks like coated copper, I'd pump some star-San into it, let it sit about 15 mins, see what comes out, could be a great hybrid chiller for your wort as well as long as its clean copper in the inside

Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #13
bwilliamson
Recipes 

kh54s10 - look at the lower of the two lines in the pic, it's copper. I said it was either painted or powder coated.
limulus - I'm not an HVAC guy but the guy I got this from is. I was even thinking of just recirculating the wort through this and have a few 4" PC fans blowing across the coils. Wouldn't be as fast as dunking this in an ice bath but it would still get the heat out of the wort. I had my HVAC guy talk with the manufacturer of this and they said there shouldn't be anything inside the lines that would harm you, although wort might not like it. He said they are cleaned very well because refrigeration systems cannot operate with dirt of any sort in them. Star-san through it for a bit and should be clean. Any other ideas on how to use this thing?

Old 10-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

You could stick it into a length of PVC pipe, maybe 6", with sealed ends like this build but no need to fabricate all the copper! Then you pump the wort through and either into your fermenter or recirc back into the kettle to cool the whole thing.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Michelob6
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

This is a cool idea. The problem with using it to run wort through it is this, it has small fins just like a car radiator, them fins are so small that if any hop or grain residue would plug it up easily. Then you run into a problem of cleaning it out and sanitizing it, and not being able to flow water through it. I say use it as immersion if any.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #16
Thomsen1287
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There is no fluid that runs into those fins, the fins are a heat sink they are made to pull heat off the tube running them to create a larger surface to be air cooled. It would interesting to see if you could make a air-cooled wort chiller

Old 10-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #17
gcastrat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomsen1287 View Post
There is no fluid that runs into those fins, the fins are a heat sink they are made to pull heat off the tube running them to create a larger surface to be air cooled. It would interesting to see if you could make a air-cooled wort chiller
I'd put this as a pre-chiller to cool the water going into an immersion chiller. Put it in a bucket of ice. Doesn't look like it'd be too sanitary.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #18
edds5p0
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

You sir, are are very resourceful.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #19
edds5p0
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

Why not use it as an immersion chiller and use a compressor and condenser with it? R-134a isn't that expensive...

Old 10-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #20
fosgate
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm fairly new to brewing and I'm in a 6 month long college level Science of Brewing class and have brewed several batches. Pretty intense course that has 3, 1 hour long lectures and a 5 hour lab every week. I have five instructors in the course one is a history professor and the others are bio chemists all of which have brewed for nearly 30yrs each at home. We uses some pretty simple setups to brew and one of the most simple effective setups is our wort chillers. We use a 20ft length of 1/4 copper tubing coiled and the coils are spaced rather than compacted in an effort for the cold water and ice to isolate and cool the hot lines. We use our mash tun cooler as our ice bath. Simply throw the coil in and fill it with ice and then water to about an inch from the top. (3gal cooler). Hook up the lines and start siphoning the wort. It's fairly important to grab the output of the chiller and bob it up and down in the bath about a half an inch. This keeps the fresh cold water circulating. Doesn't take but a few minutes to chill a 5 gallon batch. We actually had a problem with our wort only being 40 degrees and was too cold for our yeast and had to wait for it to warm up a little bit to an effective temp for our yeast.

We also had a discussion about immersion chillers in which you pass the water through the chiller and dunk the chiller in the wort. All of the instructors advised against it mainly because of sanitary reasons. Yes yeast needs oxygen often missing in home brews but they state through numerous experiments there was not a significant increase in O2 in the wort with this method. The risk is much higher of getting a bacterial infection etc in your wort by dunking the coils in this method not just from the atmospheric but also from the coils themselves. Copper scratches easily and bacteria can easily hold up in those areas and pass into your wort. It is more difficult to scratch the inside of the tubing and is easy to maintain the sanitation. Simply flush it with PBR followed by Star Sanz before and after brewing and hang upside down to clean.

This is the one I just built for myself with $20, 3/8 in 20ft copper tubing, $3 spring pipe bender and a few zip ties. We also use quick connects, cheap, effective and easy to replace frequently to maintain integrity. I have mine built so that if I need more tubing I can simply bend another length, attach it with a quick connect and strap it to the output like the rest of the coil to secure it. This is going to utilize a 5 gallon cooler for the bath. So IMHO running the worth through the chiller is the way to go.

Quick Reply