New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Thoughts on this wort chiller?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
bwilliamson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thoughts on this wort chiller?

I have never read anywhere anything that specifies what a wort chiller has to be but they are typically either copper coils or a plate chiller. I have a totally different way of cooling it that is super efficient but some might think is a bit unconventional. I've attached a pic. It's a refrigeration evaporator from a beverage air worktop refrigerator (it was a new part, no refrigerant has gone through it). It has a ton of surface area which makes it hard to clean and sanitize but it will cool 5 gallons of boiling wort down to 70 deg. in about 5 minutes flat by pumping ice water through it. I have also thought about pumping the wort through it while it is sitting in ice water. Not sure which would be more efficient but it sure is efficient now. The ends of the copper line are 1/4 OD and the dimensions are 20"x4"x4"

It got me wondering why there are not more radiator type chillers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 35

That's an interesting idea. So do you put that into the boil to sterilize it? Is it painted? Unless that is powder coat I would be concerned a bit about paint coming off or leaching in boiling wort. Any impact on flavor?

Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 47

It seems like a neat idea.

It looks rather tall though. Shorter and squatter would be better. In any case, it looke like it would rapidly cool wort, even with tap water. Then switch to ice water.

Cleaning doesn't look that hard, rinse it off.

But as dbrewski said, I'd be concerned about the coating/paint. It would be exposed to boiling , slightly acidic liquid for 15 minutes.

Please let us know how it works out for you.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
MaltYeastFalcon
Recipes 

If it is new and has never had any contaminants run through it's internal plumbing, wouldn't it be better served as a Chiller running wort through it's internal lines rather than an Immersion Chiller. You could sink it in a Cooler or Tank of some kind. But then again, isn't that Aluminum? That drawback would hold true no matter how you plumbed it. If you immersed it, you'd have not only the filth this thing would attract, but also the oxidized aluminum area hidden everywhere. Especially using the oxy based cleaners etc. Too bad the tubing wasn't copper anyways married to Alloy fins for heat exchanging.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I vote to run the wort through it while it is in a bath.

My only concern is if there is anything coating the inside of the pipes that would come off in the high temp wort.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 35

It is a neat idea. If there was some way you could fabricate something like this out of copper, maybe not as close together, but with plates rather than just tubing it would increase the efficiency of an IC. It seems like it would cool quicker with 3/8" or 1/2" line, although this seems to cool pretty quickly already.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
bwilliamson
Recipes 

It's actually copper lines and aluminum fins. I believe it might be painted but sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. I have not sanitized it by keeping it in the hot wort, I sanitized it by putting it in a 6 gal bucket of sanitized solution. I'm beginning to think because of the height of this thing that it would be better to put it in a bucket that could completely cover the top (the brewers best 7 gallon brew kit buckets would work well) then fill that bucket with ice and water. Pump the wort through the chiller then rather than cooling the chiller in the hot wort.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 489 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilliamson View Post
It's actually copper lines and aluminum fins. I believe it might be painted but sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.
That has some kind of coating on it! Copper is a metallic brown color not silver gray.

I would use that as a pre-chiller in conjunction with a standard immersion chiller unless I was sure there is no finish of any kind on the inside of the tubing. I definitely would not immerse it in the wort without knowing exactly what the coating is.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I agree with those who suggested immersing it in ice water and running the beer through it. All those fins provide just too much area to catch dust, insects, etc and I would not want to immerse that into my beer. It is a very interesting idea though. I'm sure some savvy HVAC guy (you?) who is a homebrewer is now coming up with a way to turn this into a dual purpose chiller. Use it to chill beer from the kettle and then the fermenter.

Tap 3: Empty

Primary: IPA
Secondary: soon to be IPA
Cold Conditioning: Vienna Blonde Ale
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 859 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Believe it or not, a plain copper coil IC would be nearly as efficient with the same icewater coolant.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply