Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Thoughts on plans for recirculating system

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Dan_HBT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thoughts on plans for recirculating system

Before I spend the cash I want to get your opinions on a Brutus 20-like recirculating system. As of now I have a 52qt rectangular cooler mash tun with copper manifold and a 15 gallon 5500W electric kettle with an Auber PID and RTD. I was thinking of buying a chugger pump and doing a full volume recirc from bottom of boil kettle to top of mash tun and gravity the other way. I would use something along the lines of the autosparge arm to match flow rates. My current heating element would act as a rims type setup. I was thinking this setup would be like BIAB, without the lifting and squeezing, and perhaps have better clarity (not that it makes a huge difference in the final product).

Pros:
stepped mash
improved wort clarity
ability to whirlpool for better break separation and cooling (I use an IC)
No more lifting of hot wort in buckets

Cons:
More complex than needed/must listen to pump noise (I brew in my kitchen)
lower efficiency (not too much of a factor at the gravities I typically brew ~1.055)
possibility of overflowing mashtun/uncovering element

So what do you guys thinks?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
DFP51
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have this exact system, except I regulate the flow rate with a valve at the output of the single pump. Have put about a dozen batches through it so far and have no complaints at all.

Dan

Old 03-08-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
BadWolfBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts

Search for countertop Brutus 20 for ideas. I did that for a year. Having the cfc inline was nice. By recircing at the end, sanitation was a breeze.

Next, I turned the same system into a herms, because I get bored unless I'm tinkering mostly. I have an ekettle and a cooler, and the kettle has an ic built in. I use the ic as a herms coil during mashing, and I circulate ice water from the mash tun to cool after boil. Works really well. For sparging I originally did the recirc of the Brutus style, but got frustrated at the efficiency... I like BIG beers. Now, I batch sparge, using buckets to hold the wort while the brew kettle heats the sparge water. I like this a lot. Great, repeatable efficiency, closed system that is sanitized by recircing after the boil, and only 2 vessels. I don't count buckets as vessels. 2 pumps are loud though... I also brew in the kitchen.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
BadWolfBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts

Oh... And with the countertop Brutus 20, there were very few hose changes mid brew, so it was clean and easy to use

Quick Reply