Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > for those of you with the Williams O2 system

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
android
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default for those of you with the Williams O2 system

got a Williams O2 system for my birthday and i'm trying to figure out how far people turn on the regulator and for how long. I seem to find a wide range of times. let me know how long/how open you do it for. thanks.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I use an inline stone that adds oxygen as the wort comes out of the chiller and goes into the fermenter. I turn the gas on about 90% when the fermenter is about half full. So about 1 - 1.5 minutes.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I just go with their instructions. I think for a normal session beer I use around 45 seconds to 1 minute of oxygen. Higher gravity beers get about a minute and a half and 12 hours later, if fermentation hasn't kicked in, I hit them for another minute, same with lagers. I turn it on to the point where there's a firm bubbling at the surface above the wand, almost like a small rolling boil in that area.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
bbognerks
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We've had great results with opening it up to where the bubbles just barely break the surface of the liquid. Otherwise you're just wasting O2. Let it go for 1 minute (2 micron stone) and call it good.

Primary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Keg 1: English IPA
Keg 2: Dortmunder Export
Keg 3: Sweet Stout
Keg 4: Kölsch

Old 05-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
chromados
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I usually open my container while it is in the star-san so i can see how much oxygen is coming out and then transfer it over to the carboy. On my regulator you have to turn the knob a lot to get it started. I usually run all my beers for 90 seconds. I have had great success with this and get a lot of brews out of a tank.

chromados

Old 05-13-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
android
Recipes 

cool, thanks for the responses. i'll probably start around 45-60 seconds with some light bubbling at the surface.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
cool, thanks for the responses. i'll probably start around 45-60 seconds with some light bubbling at the surface.
good plan. I also stir the wand around the bottom of the Better Bottle during the aeration period.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbognerks View Post
We've had great results with opening it up to where the bubbles just barely break the surface of the liquid. Otherwise you're just wasting O2. Let it go for 1 minute (2 micron stone) and call it good.
This! Gas exchange into liquid occurs slowly, so the most ideal method is tiny bubbles, moving slowly.

I actually run mine barely opened..enough that i can see bubbles if the wand is at the top of the wort. then I submerge it and just gently stir the wort with the wand for a minute or so.

No bubbles really hit the surface, which means the O2 is gettign into solution...the ultimate goal here.

Be sure to always unscrew the regulator from the bottle, since they tend to leak otherwise (the bottles are so cheap the tolerance for the valve pin is wide and it might be depressed with the regulator closed but screwed on all the way.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 05-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
android
Recipes 

i have used this twice now and although i haven't tasted the resulting beer yet, i have had great fermentations with it and you just gotta love the time it takes to aerate the beer.

Quick Reply