Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Thinking about an oak barrel cask

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Kmcogar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Thinking about an oak barrel cask

Im thinking about buying an oak cask to age some brews in. Is there anything I should worry about?

Sanitation?
Certain barrels to buy?
Transferring from cask to keg?
Anything you can think of would be great

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
VladOfTrub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 128

In the day. Oak barrels used in brewing were coated on the inside with brewers pitch. The pitch kept the beer from contacting the oak. It also, sealed the barrel, allowing the beer to carbonate, to an extent. The only place the beer touched the oak was at the plugs. I'd worry about an aggressive oak flavor if the beer was left for a length of time. And bad beer if the germ nazi's invade. Once a barrel goes buggie, it's finished. Mildew, done for. It can be used for a table or a planter. Prepping and maintenance of a barrel is a lot of work. Once I find the right keg. I'm definitely going to try experimenting with it. I've been looking on line at the French and Hungarian kegs. The prep and maintenance, I'm good with. The brewers pitch may be the hang up. If it's really needed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply