Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Thinking about this for going AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 06:28 PM   #1
iloman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thinking about this for going AG

I'm slowly purchasing everything I need for AG, and next on the list is a Turkey Frier. Has anyone gotten something like this with a built in drain before? Anything I should look for when I head out there (they're a bit of a drive, about 1.5 hours each way).

Also, is that 30 qt pot going to be large enough, or should I look for something larger when planning on 5 gallon batchs?

Thanks!
Jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hate to burst your bubble, but that pot is barely going to be big enough to do a full boil. I'd recommend getting a sabco kettle and then you'll have the piece of mind knowing it is stainless steel, it is big enough for 10 gallon batches, and it will last forever. You can also invest in a hop stopper and you'll NEVER have to worry about hop trub getting into your fermenter.

The kettle and the hop stopper were the best things I ever did for my brewing.

Sabco kettle

Hopstopper

It is a pricey investment, but if you are serious about this hobby, a "do it right the first time" solution is downright mandatory, IMHO.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 08-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
iloman
Recipes 

I've looked at the Sabco Kettle before, however the budget is tight and I was hoping to get away with something a little lower on the price tag. I see that some others are getting away with Turkey Friers and was hoping to be in a similar price range. It's possible to up the bill a bit if I need to get a propane cooker and the pot seperate, but not that much

So what do you think is a good safe minimum in a pot then? 8 Gallons, 10 gallons, or no freakin' way without a 15 gallon?

Jason

Old 08-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
mozicodo

Recipes 

I just picked up this fryer from amazon.

I figured it would be a great interim step until I get a nice larger kettler for 10 gallon boils.

It was $89.00 with free shipping and the burner is rated to hold 120qts of liquid.

Xtreme Mashtun Build Open Beer Data Project @aptidude on identi.ca

Android Software: ZymTools Free ZymTools Full

Old 08-17-2006, 08:09 PM   #5
mozicodo

Recipes 

If you're comparing driving to Cabella's to shopping in line don't forget to factor in gas and taxes as well.

Xtreme Mashtun Build Open Beer Data Project @aptidude on identi.ca

Android Software: ZymTools Free ZymTools Full

Old 08-17-2006, 08:19 PM   #6
iloman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarilla
I just picked up this fryer from amazon.

I figured it would be a great interim step until I get a nice larger kettler for 10 gallon boils.

It was $89.00 with free shipping and the burner is rated to hold 120qts of liquid.
Is that 8.5 gallon pot large enough? Dude has me worried now about size, and I hear size really does matter

Old 08-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #7
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I will second Dude's comment that 30 qt. is not big enough for all grain. I have an 8 gallon pot which works but I do have to watch it carefully at the beginning of the boil. Your going to need a chiller too.

Gary

Old 08-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #8
iloman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarilla
If you're comparing driving to Cabella's to shopping in line don't forget to factor in gas and taxes as well.
There will be a trip there sometime soon, certain family members tend to request Cabella's gifts around birthdays/christmas/etc and I'm a sucker for buying relatives what they really want. Which is why I was thinking about checking that out, with the drain built in an all, but I think Dude has successfully steered me away from the smallish pot.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:25 PM   #9
iloman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
Your going to need a chiller too.
Yep! Purchasing in small batches as budget allows. First step was the cooler and parts for the mash/lauter tun, now I'm moving onto the cooking bits, and then the chiller next.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:23 PM   #10
Axegod
Recipes 

Hey,

You could always go with the Sabco $70.00 kettle...same thing minus the drilled
and welded fittings for a valve/thermometer...I couldn't justify the extra $50-$60 for the fancier kettle. It would be nice to have, but I too was on a budget.

I just got mine a couple weeks ago, it cost $100.00 ($70kettle, $30.00 for shipping.)...plus got dinged for the border/customs $40..ugh.
But if you are in the US, you cant beat that deal.

The service was great....I phoned and gave my credit card info..and had it in 72 hrs. The kettle is a thing of beauty...you won't be dissapointed....plus the cool factor of using a beer kettle to brew can't be beat.

One tip for ya...when making the wort chiller...measure the water when putting it in the kettle so you know how high to make the coil. I am planning on doing 10G batches and made the height of the coil in the 9 gallon water mark range. That was 35 feet of 5/8" coil. If you are planning 5 gallon batches, no point in making one that sticks half way outta the wort...or one that may be too small if you switch to 10G batches.

Cheers.

On Order: nothing at all..for a few months
Thinking about: Plisner malt and saaz hops
Drinking:

Quick Reply