HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Thinking about drilling a hole in my new cooler...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
climateboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Thinking about drilling a hole in my new cooler...

...and, I'm not sure. I just got a 10 gallon round cooler for my mash tun, and I'm contemplating installing a weldless thermometer (Zymico). But the idea of drilling into that puppy makes me more than a little nervous. Does anyone have any experiences, ideas, suggestions they could share?

Thanks,

CB

"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers

"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2870 Times on 2806 Posts
Likes Given: 134

well the cooler will be mostly useless without some sort of hole in it. Have you looked at this forum before? Look in the DIY section. All cooler Mash Tuns (~99%, I'm sure someone is using a grain sac) have drain valve, temperature probes ect in them.

Suggestion: Drill the hole and buy the weldless kit here

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 02-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
climateboy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
well the cooler will be mostly useless without some sort of hole in it. Have you looked at this forum before? Look in the DIY section. All cooler Mash Tuns (~99%, I'm sure someone is using a grain sac) have drain valve, temperature probes ect in them.

Suggestion: Drill the hole and buy the weldless kit here
Yah, I've been looking around for advice. I know it has a hole in it already! I have a ball valve for it. But that doesn't involve drilling anything.

Join DC Homebrewers

(C)

Old 02-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
harley03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I would not drill another hole in the cooler if you can help it. I just use a floating thermometer which I just leave in there. If I want to know the temp I just remove the lid real quick and do a temperature check with the floating thermometer or my quick read digital. Heck after using my Rubbermaid 10 round cooler for many batches now I only loose a few degrees over 60 minutes anyway no big deal.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"Wow! What a Ride!""

Old 02-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'd be more apt to screw around with the lid, regarding a "stationary" probe. Something gets screwed up or leaks, you're better to have a leaky lid than a leaky bottom-of-your-mashtun.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 02-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
climateboy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Yah, I'm with the both of you. A lot of folks around here seem nonchalant about drilling into that cooler, and, I dunno, it seems wrong. I have a drilled stainless steel kettle for a dump valve and a thermometer, but I let Northern Brewer do that.

Join DC Homebrewers

(C)

Old 02-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
springer

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

I would suggest that the outer hole be big enough so that the weldless fitting sits against the inner wall. It would be darn near impossible IMO to tighten the fitting without crushing the insulation.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 02-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Gosassin
Recipes 

If you're looking to install the ball valve, you can drill out a hole with the appropriate-size holesaw and then insert a piece of PVC pipe the same length as the width of the cooler wall and glue it in place with some silicone. Then when you tighten the ball valve assembly the cooler wall won't give and you'll get a good watertight seal. I read that idea somewhere on this forum and it works like a champ! Note: you need to make the hole in the outer wall slightly larger than the hole in the inner wall so the PVC has something to rest on/press against.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
climateboy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosassin View Post
If you're looking to install the ball valve, you can drill out a hole with the appropriate-size holesaw and then insert a piece of PVC pipe the same length as the width of the cooler wall and glue it in place with some silicone. Then when you tighten the ball valve assembly the cooler wall won't give and you'll get a good watertight seal. I read that idea somewhere on this forum and it works like a champ! Note: you need to make the hole in the outer wall slightly larger than the hole in the inner wall so the PVC has something to rest on/press against.
I thought to install the ball valve, you just pop out the spigot and install the valve there.

Join DC Homebrewers

(C)

Old 02-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

IMHO, a temp gauge on the MLT is not necessary. Just take the temp after your mash in and stir well. Then close it up and forget about it, figuring on 1 degree change in one hour. Unless you plan on doing multi-step mashes, electric MLT, etc. I wouldn't even worry about it.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Quick Reply