Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Thermoworks Problems? Anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
mccumath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Thermoworks Problems? Anyone?

Hey Guys,

Just bucked up and bought an orange (easier to see) Thermopen from Thermoworks. Should be here before I get ready to brew about 3-4 batches next weekend.

My question is, has anyone ever had a problem with one? I have not read a bad review, and can't seem to find any issues with them (which is awesome if you ask me!).

Anyways, just wondering if any of you with Thermopens have had any issues? Just seeing if there are any potential problems to watch out for.

Thanks,
Ryan M.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
brushvalleybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've heard you eventually have to replace the battery.

In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
jimboramma
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccumath
Hey Guys,

Just bucked up and bought an orange (easier to see) Thermopen from Thermoworks. Should be here before I get ready to brew about 3-4 batches next weekend.

My question is, has anyone ever had a problem with one? I have not read a bad review, and can't seem to find any issues with them (which is awesome if you ask me!).

Anyways, just wondering if any of you with Thermopens have had any issues? Just seeing if there are any potential problems to watch out for.

Thanks,
Ryan M.
I've had one for a few weeks and love it. Read the instruction booklet that comes with it so understand how it works. It is very accurate but you might think it isn't working sometimes. This is because the temp of your wort or grains on the sides, in the middle, at different depths, etc will all read different temps. Because they ARE at different temps. When chilling a wort this past weekend I had temps all over the place and got a little frustrated. Then I stirred the wort and the temps stabilized. The bottom line is that the Thermopen works fine and is amazing. It you need to learn how to use it and believe in the readings you get.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1380 Times on 1115 Posts

fwiw, I've had a "splash proof" model in screamin' yellow since they first came out with it, and use it for everything: for cooking - on the grill, on the smoker, in the kitchen - and brewing, and have never had even an inkling of untoward behavior. It never tells a lie, and I've pretty much come to depend on it.

btw, the yellow model is the quickest...

Cheers!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
Mike_M
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't have a Thermopen, but another Thermoworks digital thermometer. It is one of the best pieces of brewing equipment I own. You'll be very happy with your purchase, I'm sure.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:56 AM   #6
nbolmer
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use thermapens (and other Thermoworks products) exclusively at my restaurant. Heavy use, high-volume. These are the most reliable, high-accuracy, well made instrument I've ever had the immense pleasure of using. I recommend without reservation. Buy one now.

//Noah A. Bolmer // www.barleynhops.com//
//Barley and Hops Tavern // Occidental, CA//
//Warped Brewing Company // 10bbl // Sebastopol, CA//

Old 02-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #7
kman6234
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I had a problem with the one I got for Christmas last year. It worked fine for about 6 weeks and then the battery died. The batteries are suppose to last like 1,500 hours so I emailed them and they sent a new battery. That battery lasted like 3 weeks... so I emailed them again and they sent me a new thermapen. The new one I received has been great and I've had no issues with it.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
tomCT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you do have a problem their customer service is first rate.

I had purchased one of their other thermometers, and had a problem with it after several months. I called them about it and they did not hesitate sending me a new one. That was about a year ago and the new one has been perfect.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:43 AM   #9
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

These are all the things I was hoping to hear! Again, I had not heard anything bad about them, so figured it would be a worthwhile purchase. Looking forward to receive it before my next brew day!

Old 02-17-2012, 04:37 AM   #10
TomRep
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had an issue with mine when I first recieved it. You can read about it here. Long story short, not sure which is better, the Thermapen or the customer service!
Tom

Abandoned Logic Brewing

Quick Reply