Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Thermometer suggestion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
christopherrburns
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Thermometer suggestion

Any suggestions for waterproof thermometers. I like Keeping a probe in my mash tun, but have gone through at least three thermometers in the past year. All ended up going for a swim either in my sparge water or in the tun, and no I was not drinky during the brew. Any suggestions, other then don't be a dumbass and keep your thermometer out of the water. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
BirdmanBrewingCo
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not sure if you are looking for digital...but there was another recent thread on thermometers that has some good recos. THIS ONE seems to get top reviews but is also the most expensive, and splash proof, not necessarily full water proof.

There is a CDN - THIS ONE I believe that folks like. And I think you can get it from one of the forum sponsor's at a good price (BrewHardware). Always nice to support the sponsors.

www.birdmanbrewing.com
401-400-BREW (2739)

Facebook BirdmanBrewingCompany

BeerSmith 2.1 just $21.89 every day!
christopherrburns Likes This 
Old 10-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
christopherrburns
Recipes 

I've typically used thermometers with a wire probe that I can keep in my mash to monitor the temp. Perhaps I just need to give in to the fact that I'm too clumsy to keep using these and just get a fixed probe thermometer.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
kh54s10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherrburns View Post
I've typically used thermometers with a wire probe that I can keep in my mash to monitor the temp. Perhaps I just need to give in to the fact that I'm too clumsy to keep using these and just get a fixed probe thermometer.
Most of the wire probes on the thermometers are not meant to be submerged. Maybe you can make a waterproof well out of a length of copper tubing to keep one alive longer.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
brewser7
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I visited the forums this morning specifically for this reason. To figure out what type of thermometer works well for brewing and what do you know, it was the top thread. I had major issues with my last brew tasting funky and couldn't figure it out, I'm guessing it was my mash. For my brew session yesterday I grabbed 2 thermometers and there was a 20 degree difference!! I figured it was time for a new one... Thanks for the suggestions Birdman.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
christopherrburns
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Most of the wire probes on the thermometers are not meant to be submerged. Maybe you can make a waterproof well out of a length of copper tubing to keep one alive longer.
The probe is fine but it's the digital read out that keeps getting a bath.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 945 Times on 631 Posts
Likes Given: 28

There are two ways to waterproof a remote probe thermo. One is to bend the tube on the probe straight and put it down a long tube that you've crimped and soldered shut. The other is to force the probe into some narrow silicone tubing. If you buy a CDN DTTC from me, I'll include a length of the tubing you'll need.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherrburns View Post
The probe is fine but it's the digital read out that keeps getting a bath.
Well, that end is definitely a problem. I have not seen any wire probe thermometers where the readout end is waterproof. Maybe you could mount one inside a sealed clear plastic box and mount that somewhere that it will not get doused!

Quick Reply