The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Thermometer for an orange Igloo mash tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Mcbobs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Thermometer for an orange Igloo mash tun

Hey guys. I'm slowly rebuilding my all grain brewery and am utilizing the orange rubbermaid round style cooler for my mash tun. I'd really like to be able to put a permanent thermometer on it to keep an eye on my mash temperatures, but can't figure out what style of thermometer I should use.

I just purchased two weldless Blichmann thermometers for my HLT and boil kettle. I really like these thermometers, but can't figure out how I would use one on my mash tun.

What does everyone else use? Is there a way to get the Blichmann thermometers to work on my mash tun?

Any great ideas? I'm pretty stumped at the moment....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
betaman
Recipes 

I am sort of in the same boat. I chose a weldless thermometer with a 6 inch probe and a 3 inch dial. I am thinking of installing it as low as possible to the false bottom so that it minimizes the risk of being hit from stirring. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? Thanks.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I was thinking about mounting one tthrough the center of the lid. That way it wouldn't be in the way when stirring. I spent a little time looking for one with the length I wanted but didn't find one.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
Markd27
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Uh, drill a hole in the side and install it?

Seriously though, take a look at the manual for the Blichmann Autosparge. On page 2 they show how to install it in a cooler MLT, the principle is pretty much the same for your Brewmometer.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I didn't want to drill a hole in my tun and worry about sealing it and all the jazz.

My remedy was a cheap analog thermometer and the cap from one of the new Tropicana OJ bottles.

I drilled a hole in the cap and pushed the thermometer through. Then I just set it in my mash once everything is stirred up and good and leave it in the tun the whole time. It fogs up a little but it floats and it lets me know instantly if I lose any temperature.

When I mash-in I have a $20 digital thermometer that is waterproof that I dip in and swish around to make sure I hit my mash temperature. Then I drop the analog in the tun with the OJ cap-floatie and close the lid. I check it every 20 minutes or so to make sure its good.

Simple fix, $30 tops. If I ever win the lottery I may but a Thermapen but that overpriced accuracy can wait. For all my homebrew purposes, my set up works just dandy.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
GR22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I was reluctant to drill a hole in the side too, so I drilled a hole in the lid sized for a stopper and used a thermo well: http://www.brewershardware.com/16-St...hermowell.html
Now I can slide the probe from my digital thermometer down the thermowell or remove the thermowell easily if necessary. I use the same thermowell for my fermentor by simply drilling the appropriate hole in the lib (it's a plastic bucket fermentor)

Old 02-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I wouldnt worry about the temp of the mash inside anyways.

Even with an ambient air temp of around 60, I lose maybe a degree or two with my 10 gallon cooler MLT, even with a decent amount of head space(if I am mashing thick or something).

Any attempts to monitor the temp without stirring will be futile anyways because of the hot and cold spots that develop.

Get your mash temp where you want it, shut the lid, and forget about it.

If you are so inclined, measure the temp at the end of the mash just to see how much you lost. I'll bet you 10 bucks you dont do it more than a couple times.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
betaman
Recipes 

i like the thermowell idea through the top and have made one out of copper but found it not very accurate. i was told to use thermogel but i can imagine that to get messy. any thoughts on this or is the stainless one accurate without the gel.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
GR22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I also was wondering if I needing some sort of heat transfer fluid in the thermowell. I put my probe in boiling water 1st by itself and then again inside the thermowell and I didn't see a difference. In my case, I mainly got the thermowell for the fermenter, but it's also nice to know what the mash temp is doing.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #10
orangemen5
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/x...nt/disctwo.jpg

I use this and stick an analog thermometer through the top. Helps maintain heat loss through the lid

Quick Reply