The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Which thermometer for my cooler MLT?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
xumbi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Which thermometer for my cooler MLT?

In hopes of hitting my strike and mash temps more accurately, I want to add a thermometer to my coleman xtreme 62 quart MLT.

I see many people using the digital cooking thermometers with a probe, but I'm wondering if something permanently mounted in the cooler wall would be better?

I saw someone here who had drilled a hole, then used a drilled rubber stopper for mounting his thermometer, but that seems like a less than ideal solution.

Would I be able to use NB's "Cooler Thermometer Fitting" (from here)? My cooler is definitely not 1 1/2" thick, so I'm guessing no. I've had my eye on this thermometer, would it be compatible? Could I buy some other type of fitting that would be compatible?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Atl300zx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The drilled stopper idea works from what i have seen.

You can also add another nipple (like you did for the drain manifold) a big higher up and add a thermometer through that with a compression fitting (for the style you linked) or by adding a coupler and a traditional style brew thermometer.

Also you can do the Bobby_M trick to a digitial cooking thermometer to make it waterproof. I like this idea as you can get wireless ones to monitor temps from afar. These can also be used with a compression fitting like described above.

Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red

Jaded Spirits DIY Stirplate
Blog @ JadedSpirits.com
Blog @ HBT

Old 04-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
xumbi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl300zx
The drilled stopper idea works from what i have seen.

You can also add another nipple (like you did for the drain manifold) a big higher up and add a thermometer through that with a compression fitting (for the style you linked) or by adding a coupler and a traditional style brew thermometer.

Also you can do the Bobby_M trick to a digitial cooking thermometer to make it waterproof. I like this idea as you can get wireless ones to monitor temps from afar. These can also be used with a compression fitting like described above.
Thanks for the info. I just ordered this thermometer. Depending on what it appears to be best suited for, I will either go the rubber stopper or compression fitting route.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2746 Times on 2697 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I thought of this as well, but have read alot about taking Mash temps from several locations in your mash to get an accurate temp.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply