Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Thermo + Sightglass?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
slykwilli
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Thermo + Sightglass?

Hello, I am trying to get a HLT and a brew kettle put together from a couple of old kegs, but I think I have run into a little snag. I was thinking that I could get a 1/2" and a 3/8" coupler welded into each keg and that would be enough for a sightglass, ball valve, and thermo ... but I can't seem to find a thermo that attaches to the same fitting as a sightglass (unless I was drunk one night while looking up equip - I could have sworn they make one). So I guess the question is... do they make such a thing... or do I need to have 3 couplers welded into each kettle? One more question... on the thermometer .. do guys usually use a thermocouple or just thread the thermo into the coupler? Thanks for the advice

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
slimer

Recipes 

You need two holes. One for the ball valve and one for a T fitting with a thermo and sight glass in this orienation

Thermo (at least 6") T Kettle
.....................Sight Glass

Make sense?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
slykwilli
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think I got it.. .so with a "T" connector the thermo probe would stick out into the kettle and would allow liquid to go around it into the sightglass right? thanks

Old 04-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Have you seen the thermo/sightglass kits I have available?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
slykwilli
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bobby,
I think that weldless kit looks similar to what I want. The only difference is that the kit has the nut and o-ring - I am going to just get the couplers welded into place to make it more permanent and avoid possible leakage issues. With as much info as I have borrowed from everyone here I would like to help out fellow brewers and purchase something from them; do you think your kit could be modified slightly to work for what I need?

-edit-
on second thought... I guess I could just take out the o-ring and nut. Is 1/4" the standard size fitting for thermo & sightglass? I was going to go with 3/8", but maybe I shouldn't.

Last edited by slykwilli; 04-21-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

There's nothing really "standard" other than the fact that most thermos you'll find for brewing are 1/2" NPT male thread. I built this combo this way since so many people want to go weldless rather than find a welder. Based on the length of my thermo probe, you couldn't add any extra hardware or the probe wouldn't reach inside your vessel.

However, I do have 3/8" fittings for sight glasses in a non-weldless setup and they are cheap for what you get. You can have a 1/2" nipple welded in, add a 1/2" TEE and 1/2" thermo, then thread in a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer into the TEE's leg and put the 3/8" sight in there.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply