Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Therminator, Ice Water, Whirlpool... question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #141
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 793 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Yeah 44 pounds is A LOT...

You also have to look at the temp. of the ice. Ice is colder than 32F, so you use calories to heat the ice TO 32F, then more calories to MELT it, then even more calories to HEAT it to say 50F.
Well 44lbs is only about 5 gallons. If its winter and you have a big freezer outdoors thats not hard.

check out this site if want to do some calculations (maybe it will help with your new build):

http://www.3dplumbing.net/ontplumbing/latent_heat.htm

ice 0 to 32 = 16BTU/lb
ice 32 to water = 144BTU/lb

the state change gives most of the cooling capacity.

By the way, I was impressed with your old rig. Yooper even showed me the magazine article (BYO?). I gotta get over and check out a brew day with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 12:47 AM   #142
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
Well 44lbs is only about 5 gallons. If its winter and you have a big freezer outdoors thats not hard.

check out this site if want to do some calculations (maybe it will help with your new build):

http://www.3dplumbing.net/ontplumbing/latent_heat.htm

ice 0 to 32 = 16BTU/lb
ice 32 to water = 144BTU/lb

the state change gives most of the cooling capacity.

By the way, I was impressed with your old rig. Yooper even showed me the magazine article (BYO?). I gotta get over and check out a brew day with it.
Thanks, yes I calculated the ice as 5 gallons volume in the old rig. Though, once it is cubed, it ends up taking up MUCH more volume. A solid block will not cool as effectively due to the greatly reduced surface area.

I am glad she is enjoying it, I learned a lot building that thing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply