Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Therminator or equivalent

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
surreal_trip
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Therminator or equivalent

Whats the deal... do these work?? are they really helpful??? can i get a plus minus on these suckers... I've done plenty of research but you guys can't seem to get your story straight!

If I get another assisted living facility email, I'm going to hunt all you down, kill you one by one and then worry about the consequences. - shecky

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Yes they work, the plate chillers that we use for brewing are really just smaller versions of what the big boys use.

Some are worried about cleaning them but I've yet to have a problem with mine.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Simphoto02
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Yes they work, the plate chillers that we use for brewing are really just smaller versions of what the big boys use.

Some are worried about cleaning them but I've yet to have a problem with mine.
I agree. I was terrified about keeping my Therminator clean. They are not the easiest thing to clean especially if you have a bunch of post boil crap. Constant flushing through the Hot side back and forth from one fitting to the other gets the crud out eventually.

Maybe a dozen or so batches through mine and no problems. Just follow the directions on cleaning and you should be Okay. besides the cool like a Mutha.

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
billymeter
Recipes 

Here's a video of a guy on YouTube who got a plate chiller for $82 shipped. It has more plates than the Shirron but less than the Therminator. Maybe worth checking out.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I just ordered a 30 plate from KC. That "5 minutes to 68*F or so" thing convinced me.

Though, now I need a pump, QD's, hoses, fittings...

Old 09-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
surreal_trip
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

do you really need a pump and all the rest of the stuff?

If I get another assisted living facility email, I'm going to hunt all you down, kill you one by one and then worry about the consequences. - shecky

Old 09-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal_trip View Post
do you really need a pump and all the rest of the stuff?
No, you don't have to have it. Well, you needs hoses and connectors.

You can use gravity instead of a pump for the wort, and use a garden hose connected to the tap for cooling water.

The pump for the wort, a submersible pump for ice water, and quick disconnects just make it work better, or easier to use.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal_trip View Post
Whats the deal... do these work?? are they really helpful??? can i get a plus minus on these suckers... I've done plenty of research but you guys can't seem to get your story straight!
Yeah, you can ask two brewer a question, and get five different opinions... Using a plate chiller is ok if you like doubling your clean up time and dropping the coins. I speak from experience. I have a Therminator. I backflush like hell, then drop it into a pressure cooker, then bag it to make sure it's ready for the next brew. Often i have to back flush before i can finish the cool down. In a word, it's a PITA.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
HickoryMike
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
Yeah, you can ask two brewer a question, and get five different opinions... Using a plate chiller is ok if you like doubling your clean up time and dropping the coins. I speak from experience. I have a Therminator. I backflush like hell, then drop it into a pressure cooker, then bag it to make sure it's ready for the next brew. Often i have to back flush before i can finish the cool down. In a word, it's a PITA.
I would be curious to hear how you are filtering out your hops. Those that use a good hop bag don't seem to have the same problems you're describing.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
Have you ever had any infections traceable to your plate chiller?

Quick Reply