Therminator Discoloring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPB

Reaction score
I just noticed today that my therminator seems to be discoloring on the outside with some with small greenish spots in some areas. Only used this 4-5times and clean it thoroughly (backflush, oxyclean, boil and quick dip in starsan).

Should I be concerned? Thanks.

Probably verdigris/oxidation on the copper.....not a big deal. Scrub with Barkeepers Friend and you're GTG.

It looks bluish green like you would find on oxidized pipes. My main concern is that is in the inside of this thing and that it is toxic.

Does anyone know if this is a characteristic of all therminators or just mine?

probably verdigris/oxidation on the copper.....not a big deal. Scrub with barkeepers friend and you're gtg.

+1.

I have a plastic bin that it fits perfectly into. Post-use care: run oxyclean through it, let sit for a few days, drain, put in bin. I don't bother attempting to blow air through it or otherwise dry it out. Mine has cooled a ton of large batches and looks fine. I just looked at mine (sitting outside on patio, full of oxyclean) and there are a few small spots of verdigris.

The plates are actually stainless...the copper is the filler metal used during the brazing process. SO, there's probably a whole lot less on the inside than the outside.

Sadly, I have no pump to circulate hot water through. I usually hook up to the faucet and back flush as well as the starstan, PBW bath and then boil the whole thing.

Does anyone know if that green stuff is toxic?

Since sithspitt mentions it, how do you dry (or should you) your therminator out so that no mold grows inside?

i never dry mine. Just run boiling water through then sanitize before I use it. Yeah I clean everything before and after I use anything I make beer with. Guess I'm a little paranoid.

Back