Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Therminator Cleaning?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Therminator Cleaning?

I have a Therminator that has not been used in a while. I have flushed it forward and backward for several hours each way. Still find bits of debris.

I have read about Baking them in an oven. Some suggest a Clean cycle in an electric oven. That would be OK mine is electric. Some suggest 350*. I have contacted John Blichman about the baking idea and he does not advise it. His position is to flush. I've spent hours flushing and am ready to try another method.

But I also don't want to ruin my chiller in the process. So I ask, what do you advise?

One more thing, rather trivial but none the less. I would rather not burn the sticker off the Therminator if not necessary. I'm guessing the oven method will do that for sure. I'd buy a package of stickers if I could. I just like to keep things looking good as new. But if the oven is the way, function before beauty in this case.

Sorry for the spelling. I lost my spellcheck function. Another thing I got to deal with.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4628 Times on 4311 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Make a sooution of PBW (Best) or Oxyclean (Better) and let it soak inside the Therminator.

I have been doing this with my Shirron for a while. I let it soak for about an hour (during the mash) and then start the flush cyle during the boil.

I have always gotten the flush water to clear nicely and quickly.

Unfortunately, there just is not any way to know how much buildup is collecting inside these chillers. Lest you are willing to cut yours in halves or quarters.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply