Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Thermapen, Refractometer, or pH Meter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolomieu View Post
I'm not sure how you get rid of your hydrometer completely as refractometers have issues when taking FG readings. The alcohol gives and unreliable reading once it's present (as far as i know, and i don't know it all). Feel free to correct me on that.
True, but there are calculations you can do post fermentation that will adjust your number for the alcohol. They aren't dead on, but are close enough for most people not to really worry. I haven't used my hydrometer to take an FG in years.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
True, but there are calculations you can do post fermentation that will adjust your number for the alcohol. They aren't dead on, but are close enough for most people not to really worry. I haven't used my hydrometer to take an FG in years.
Actually commenting on your signature. Good stuff!! Welcome to "Obama-nation"!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #13
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolomieu View Post
I'm not sure how you get rid of your hydrometer completely as refractometers have issues when taking FG readings. The alcohol gives and unreliable reading once it's present (as far as i know, and i don't know it all). Feel free to correct me on that.
This is absolutely true. There are compensation formulas you can use, but from what I understand, they are not perfect. Getting an accurate FG with a refractometer is not a straightforward task.

I use my hydrometer a grand total of two times for each brew: once for OG after the boil and once for FG prior to kegging. I personally have no use for a refractometer. But that's me, YMMV.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2135 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

A good thermometer is a must. So Thermapen if that's the brand you want.

I'd go with a refractometer second. I use mine at least once every brew, and sometimes for checking FG. I have not found my Brewzor Phone App to be wrong when checking FG so far. But I admit it's almost as easy to check FG with a hydrometer too.

A pH meter is a nice bling item if you are to the point where you are messing with your water. They are usually accurate enough to double check your calculations. After a while I can see how one might be confident in their calculations to stop using it. It's really only handy if you are a true brewing geek and desire to know as much as you can about your brewing conditions. Save it for when you've determined you might have pH issues and have fermentation temps under control.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
Ditto on the thermometer as the first choice. Cheap ones are just not accurate enough for all grain.
I disagree with this; I thermometer that is good to +/-2 degrees will make no better/worse beer than a thermometer accurate to +/-0.2 degrees. The issue is that even if you can measure to the 1/10 of a degree F, most homebrewing systems aren't designed to adjust temps with this sort of resolution. I would be surprised if you could tell the difference between a mash that was kept at 150F +/- 2 degrees and one that was kept at 150 +/-0.2 degrees.

That being said, a thermapen is a well made device and can deliver stable temp readings in 2-3 seconds...that is why it is preferred by homebrewers. If I had money to burn I'd probably go with this purchase first, then refractometer, then pH meter.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #16
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I have not found my Brewzor Phone App to be wrong when checking FG so far. But I admit it's almost as easy to check FG with a hydrometer too.
From the few times I actually took a reading with both, I didn't find it really was off much at all, less than a point usually. Now, that might be a bigger swing with a higher alcohol beer, but, again, was never off by enough to ever worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
That being said, a thermapen is a well made device and can deliver stable temp readings in 2-3 seconds...that is why it is preferred by homebrewers.
The speed is part of the charm. I don't even have mine set for tenth of a degree increments. I flipped the DIP switch inside to just make it read to the nearest degree.

I also used the thing to check my Thanksgiving turkey and the roast I made for Christmas. So many uses!!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #17
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2135 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
From the few times I actually took a reading with both, I didn't find it really was off much at all, less than a point usually. Now, that might be a bigger swing with a higher alcohol beer, but, again, was never off by enough to ever worry about.
That may well be the case. I haven't used it for measuring a really big beer. I think a brew day is in order!!

What do I really want, Barleywine, RIS, or...???

Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
That may well be the case. I haven't used it for measuring a really big beer. I think a brew day is in order!!

What do I really want, Barleywine, RIS, or...???
Go RIS, I love a good RIS!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #19
mobilecabinworks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Personally I would get the refractometer. I never have to wait for samples to cool to make sure my pre-boil gravity is correct. Plus it only takes a few drops. I have not regreted buying mine. Makes checking progress in fermentation a snap too. Don't have to waste a bunch of beer to check.
I would replace the thermapen with a good partial immersion lab thermometer They are between cheap and absolutely accurate. I just leave mine in my mash.
I wouldn't worry too much about the pH meter until later. If a person was just getting into all grain then I would be more concerned about temperatures and extractions. For a majority my your recipes I don't need to worry about pH.

So really you can pick up a decend refractometer and a lab thermometer for teh same cost of a thermapen.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #20
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 602

I ferment in buckets and to check a gravity reading I pull off the airlock, insert a straw through the hole and remove enough beer to check with the refractometer. If you feel the need to check a sample 3 days in a row before bottling, repeat the process. It saves me having to pull the lid off the bucket to get a sample.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

captain_brew Likes This 

Quick Reply