Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Thermal Mass of 10 gal Rubbermaid Cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
thorongil
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Thermal Mass of 10 gal Rubbermaid Cooler

Does anyone know the thermal mass of a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler that i can plug into my brewing software. I have always preheated and used a 0 value, but I'd like to cut out that step. Based on some searching, I've found 1.55 lb, but I didn't see how that was calculated. Anyone have a more proven number?

“Altogether 1420 in the Shire was a marvelous year... The Northfarthing barley was so fine that the beer of 1420 malt was long remembered and became a byword. Indeed a generation later one might hear an old gaffer in an inn, after a good pint of well-earned ale, put down his mug with a sigh: ‘Ah! that was a proper fourteen-twenty, that was!’”

- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
thorongil
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

bump... wow... 45 views and nothin' huh...

Does anyone know how to calculate this?

“Altogether 1420 in the Shire was a marvelous year... The Northfarthing barley was so fine that the beer of 1420 malt was long remembered and became a byword. Indeed a generation later one might hear an old gaffer in an inn, after a good pint of well-earned ale, put down his mug with a sigh: ‘Ah! that was a proper fourteen-twenty, that was!’”

Old 03-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't know that value. I just know that in any weather from 30F up to 100F the temperature loss during a one hour mash is less that one degree F. I even did a 75 minute mash once and it just dropped one degree. Sorry to not help more, but I don't know how to calculate thermal mass.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 03-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

From the Promash message board...

"You can calculate this yourself using ProMash.

1. Go into ProMash and open the Strike Temp calculator.

2. For Mash Tun Thermal Mass, Enter 0.

3. For Total Grain enter 0.00001 pounds. (It won't let you go any smaller - entering 0 will give you a division error.) This should make your water:grain ratio 120000:1.

4. For Total Water, enter 16.00 quarts.

5. For Desired Strike Temp, enter 170. (You can use any temperature but this will more accurately reflect actual mash temperatures.)

6. For Grain Temp, enter the current room temperature.

7. Heat 16 quarts (4 gallons) of water to 170 degrees and pour it quickly into the mash tun. Close the lid and seal it up, and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

8. Measure the temperature of the water in the mash tun.

9. Enter the temperature of the water in the mash tun in the "Desired Strike Temp" field in ProMash.

10. Now look at the "Initial Strike Water Temp Should Be" window. You will note that, with Thermal Mass set to 0, this number will be the same as the "Desired Strike Temp" field.

11. Now, in small (say 0.1 or smaller) increments, increase the Thermal Mass field until the "Initial Strike Water" field reads 170 (or whatever temperature you started with, if you didn't use 170 for some reason.).

12. Ta-da! Whatever the Thermal Mass field says is your mash tun's thermal mass!

sjzabel Likes This 
Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The values that come default in Beersmith for a 10 gallon Igloo/Gott cooler are:

Weight: 9 lbs
Specific heat: 0.300

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 03-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
thorongil
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks folks... I'll have to try the ProMash approach... I think BeerAlchemy has something similar...

Old 11-23-2010, 03:10 AM   #7
sjzabel
Recipes 

Beer Alchemy does... I ran through this exercise tonight. After a quick wash/rinse with hot tap water, I added 5gal of 164 deg water to my tun (with the screen and tubing, also rinsed) it dropped the water temperature to 157 which came out to a thermal mass of 3.5lbs.
I think that the thing to remember is that this needs to be dialed into your rig and process. Its not just enough to take somebodies word for it, you should follow a consistent routine and take your own measurements.

Quick Reply