Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Are there better hydrometers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
jakeshivers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Are there better hydrometers?

Are there better hydrometers than the ones that come in the noob kits? The one I have is a simple floating hydrometer that comes with a plastic tube that you put the liquid in.

I don't like it because a small layer of foam accumulates at the surface which kinda prevents me from taking an accurate reading. Also, I keep forgetting to do the temperature conversion so i have to retake my reading. I suppose I should write this down anyhow. Still new at brewing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Yes, there are. You can get a precision hydrometer, which is basically the same thing but covers a narrower range and so a larger scale, easier to read, etc.

Also, just let the foam dissipate (it will do this on its own if you wait), or do what I do and overfill your tube a bit then drop in your hydrometer so any foam is forced out before you measure.

Can't help you with the temperature measurement. That's just something you need to keep track of as part of using one. Also, it's best to try to keep it in a narrow temperature range, like room temperature or maybe up to 80 F or so, because the correction factors can get pretty wildly wrong as you get to higher temps.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Don't think there are. That I know of, at least. If you wait a few minutes and twirl the hydrometer, the foam goes away. Or you can just take a piece of paper towel or whatever and wipe it away - it's not like you're worried about the hydro sample getting infected or anything.

The real PITA in the ass with hydrometers is how easily they break. I'm on #3 right now. Can't anyone out there design a shatter-proof plastic one?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Oh, and after doing it a few times, taking the temp of your sample and converting the result will become second-nature. Though +1 on getting it to room temp.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I don't get how people always break their hydrometers. Just treat it like you would a champagne flute. You don't go around breaking glasses all the time, do you?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
hopvine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So how much did Forrest pay you to ask this question today, of all days?

Just kidding...

Austin Homebrew is having a one-day sale today on precision hydrometers. I have NO idea if it will cure the issues you're looking to resolve (for that, you may want to look at refractometers), but at least take a look.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...roducts_id=802

Old 11-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i found the one piece glass test jar is way better and can be sanitized compared to the cheapie plastic. williams brewing has them for like $5.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordantly View Post
i found the one piece glass test jar is way better and can be sanitized compared to the cheapie plastic. williams brewing has them for like $5.

Why do you need to sanitize? You aren't putting the sample back into the fermenter are you????

Old 11-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeshivers View Post
Are there better hydrometers than the ones that come in the noob kits? The one I have is a simple floating hydrometer that comes with a plastic tube that you put the liquid in.

I don't like it because a small layer of foam accumulates at the surface which kinda prevents me from taking an accurate reading. Also, I keep forgetting to do the temperature conversion so i have to retake my reading. I suppose I should write this down anyhow. Still new at brewing...

Instead of a hydrometer, you could buy a refractometer. Uses less sample (a few drops), does not need temp correction,

Old 11-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
renevdb
Recipes 

I use this graph, very quick and accurate.

Primary: Strong Belgium Blonde

Bottle: Abdij II, Wit, Cool Vienna, Dad's Dubbel

Quick Reply