Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is there anyway to strain trub from being sucked through the dip tube?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
BigHead33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Is there anyway to strain trub from being sucked through the dip tube?

I have a boilermaker kettle with a dip tube. I use a wort chiller. When I'm done chilling and transfer to Carboys the dip tube initially picks up the cold break trub off the bottom. I usually dump this but I'd like strain it so I don't dump any precious wort. I'm looking for a cheap alternative to more expensive gear. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 21

send it on to the carboy, it'll settle out with the yeast. No need to waste it or kill yourself trying to separate it early.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #3
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

whirlpool

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 12-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHead33 View Post
I have a boilermaker kettle with a dip tube. I use a wort chiller. When I'm done chilling and transfer to Carboys the dip tube initially picks up the cold break trub off the bottom. I usually dump this but I'd like strain it so I don't dump any precious wort. I'm looking for a cheap alternative to more expensive gear. Thanks for any suggestions.
One thing you can do is to simply whirlpool your wort (and then let it settle for a good 20 minutes!) so the trub (hops and break) settles into a big cone in the center and you will get minimum amounts of cold break and hop material into the fermenter. It will suck some of it through when you get all the way to the bottom, but as noted above, its not a *huge* deal.

Another method I've used for a while is to just run the output into a bottling/fermenting bucket with a sanitized 5 gallon paint strainer on the other end of the hose (you can also use a regular kitchen strainer) and just suck everything up. It will catch the majority of the trub (but certainly not all of it) and then you can use an auto siphon to rack it into the carboy (and even strain it again if you want). It doesn't work nearly as well if you try and do it straight into a narrow necked carboy since the hops and break material will practically fill the bag and make it hard to pull out, hence why I use the intermediate step of a bucket. This does of course mean you have to sanitize and then clean a lot more equipment than you otherwise would, so I'd give a nice vigorous whirlpool a try before that.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Whirlpool + steel wire scrubbie around the dip tube...that should help.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

Similar to a couple of the above posters, I whirlpool and let it settle for 20 min then put a sanitized ss strainer in my funnel and transfer through that.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Whirlpooling and waiting for it to settle really helps a lot.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside92129 View Post
send it on to the carboy, it'll settle out with the yeast. No need to waste it or kill yourself trying to separate it early.
This... ZERO need to filter, whirlpool, etc... The hot/cold break will settle out and can actually be eaten by the yeast. Another brewer did a test (and posted results) where the part of a batch (same exact batch, split) that had the trub left in it actually came out clearer and tasting better than the part he kept it out of. Moral of the story, RDWHAHB and pour it ALL in...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Yeah I know its not really scientific or anything but I whirlpool with a pump setup and do 10 gallon batches. I split it into 2 6 gallon better bottles. The first fermenter is usually really clear and the second fermenter does get a good deal of break material. I do my best to divide my starters as evenly as I can between the two fermenters. But seems like without fail the side with break material starts fermenting first, seems to ferment more violently and finish faster.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
BigHead33
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I would like to utilize the whirlpool technique but I don't know how to do that if you use a wort chiller. I put my wort chiller in at 15 mins to sanitize it. Once it's in there I am unable to whirlpool the wort. If I wait til the wort is chilled and remove the chiller and whirlpool then will it be as effective?

Quick Reply