Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Testing new equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
IPAman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Testing new equipment

I am a step closer to doing my first AG. Testing my equipment today, I bought a 15.5 keg converted to a brew kettle. Am using a banjo burner, with a aluminum skirt built around it to shield the burner from the wind. I boiled 7 g. of water and it took 38 minutes to reach a boil. Is this a normal time?
The banjo is new and only had the regulator open 1/2 turn (The banjo can open 2 1/2 turns), if I opened it any further a lot of heat would come up around the kettle, in fact the vinyl grip on the ball valve started smoking. Anyone else using a banjo burner and how far do you have the valve open?
Built my chiller, had no leaks and chilled the water from a boil to 80 degrees in 10 min. I assume that is in the ball park for a chiller? Thanks for your input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Personally I'd say your boil time is reasonable. You probably used tap water which is going to be cooler than the run-off from the mash, so your wort will boil faster.

Chillers cooling times are a function of inlet water temperature, and 10 minutes from boil to 80 is definitely good.

Make Beer, Not War.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply