Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Testing my keggle and burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
bandit77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Testing my keggle and burner

I just started to put my all grain setup together and I thought of trying my burner and keggle out... to see if the burner is up to the challenger. My burner is a old 66 000 btu bayou type...so I put in 12 gallon of hot tap water (planning on doing 10 gallon batchs and the hot tap water is to get as close to mash temp). So I Light the burner... adjust to its max flame and let it go... finaly 1h:30min a start of a rolling boil begins... to make it worst the keggle was covered to get it boil. So should I get a new higher btu burner? or do I need to be patient? I think a smaller btu burner will burn more propane to get 12 gallon to a good rolling boil then a bigger burner. What do you guy`s think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

90mins? Really? You sure you had the thing turned on? I just did my first 10 gal. batch this weekend with a 60k burner and it took maybe 30mins to get it to boil. Now, of course I kept some heat on the first runnings to keep the temp up. That may help.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
bandit77
Recipes 

Regulator was on max and valves was on max both burner and propane tank. Don`t forget my burner is about 15 years old. What kind of burner are you running? Any ways you just answer my question... time to get a new burner... any ideal the best site to get one?

Old 08-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
Baron ken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I too just got a keggle and burner (SQ-14, 55K BTU I think). I takes around 60 mins to go from tap water temp to boil (for around 12 gal).

Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Just used the keggle for the first time on this last batch. Even though there is much more metal to heat than my dinky old pot, I found it came to boil rather quickly, maybe even faster than my old 7.5gal pot.

I think the skirt around the bottom traps the flames when I turn it up, whereas they would lick around the edges of the previous pot.

Anyhoo, I like it. It was also fun taunting the hotbreak with "show me what you got!" instead of watching nervously with a spraybottle.

Quick Reply