Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Tested my homebuilt wort chiller today

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 03:52 AM   #1
slowspoke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tested my homebuilt wort chiller today

I built a wort chiller today using 25ft of 3/8 copper today and put some connections on and tested it. I cooled 4 gal of water from boil to 68*f in 15 1/2 minutes. I think this will work out pretty good as it used to take almost 1 hour before. Excited to try it on my next batch.
Also bought a 10 gal water cooler this weekend and started building a mash tun. I will be doing mini mashes for now but didn't want to be limited in the future. This is a great hobby, my wife is sure glade SHE got me into it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2007, 03:57 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You can probably get that down to 6 minutes if you stir the wort.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-12-2007, 04:10 AM   #3
Willsellout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
You can probably get that down to 6 minutes if you stir the wort.

yup, I did that today with mine and it was right about 5 minutes or so. I tested it with my digital thermometer. I watched it when I wasn't stirring and it was very slow to cool. I started stirring and it was cooling much quicker dropping about a degree every few seconds or so.

Dan
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Quick Reply