Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Tested my homebuilt wort chiller today

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 02:52 AM   #1
slowspoke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tested my homebuilt wort chiller today

I built a wort chiller today using 25ft of 3/8 copper today and put some connections on and tested it. I cooled 4 gal of water from boil to 68*f in 15 1/2 minutes. I think this will work out pretty good as it used to take almost 1 hour before. Excited to try it on my next batch.
Also bought a 10 gal water cooler this weekend and started building a mash tun. I will be doing mini mashes for now but didn't want to be limited in the future. This is a great hobby, my wife is sure glade SHE got me into it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2007, 02:57 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1018 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You can probably get that down to 6 minutes if you stir the wort.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-12-2007, 03:10 AM   #3
Willsellout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
You can probably get that down to 6 minutes if you stir the wort.

yup, I did that today with mine and it was right about 5 minutes or so. I tested it with my digital thermometer. I watched it when I wasn't stirring and it was very slow to cool. I started stirring and it was cooling much quicker dropping about a degree every few seconds or so.

Dan
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Quick Reply