Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Tempted by the better bottles....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #11
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Buckets to kegs. It can't get simpler.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #12
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I sold my carboys when I moved, and will be going with EdWort's bucket-to-keg system. Thought about picking up a BB for those beers that I want to "secondary", but I can't think of anything I could do with a BB that I can't do with a corny keg.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #13
bigben
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea, I ferment in buckets too!! I have never entered a competition, but my beer usually tastes really good I ferment for usually 3-4 weeks in a bucket and bottle/keg.

I have always been leary of fermenting with a bucket and spigot though....but heck if EdWort does it, i might too....I hate siphoning even though it's really easy with the autosiphon.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #14
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bucket and Better +....5(I think)

I secondary just because I usually re-use a yeast cake a couple of times, and it doesn't hurt.

GLASS LOVERS: TO EACH THEIR OWN, BUT I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO GLASS.

I think you all are becoming outnumbered, or you soon will be...so let's fight!!!

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 04-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ed Wort - When you first open the spigot, how often is a yeast glob the first thing to come out? I've always wanted to just drain with the spigot but was afraid of transferring to much yeast into the keg so I siphon.

I have already removed the word secondary from my vocabulary and I am now just going to double my primary time and then go right into a keg.

Has anybody ever tried using gravity to drain from the bucket and into the liquid out tube of a keg? If you locked the vent open during this process it would simplify some of the sanitization and keep more of the CO2 in the keg during the transfer. I always worry that the exterior of my hose will touch a counter top or something that isn't clean and then I unkowingly stick it inside the keg.

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Reason: addition of text

Old 04-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #16
bigben
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing link
Ed Wort - When you first open the spigot, how often is a yeast glob the first thing to come out? I've always wanted to just drain with the spigot but was afraid of transferring to much yeast into the keg so I siphon.

I have already removed the word secondary from my vocabulary and I am now just going to double my primary time and then go right into a keg.

Has anybody ever tried using gravity to drain from the bucket and into the liquid out tube of a keg? If you locked the vent open during this process it would simplify some of the sanitization and keep more of the CO2 in the keg during the transfer. I always worry that the exterior of my hose will touch a counter top or something that isn't clean and then I unkowingly stick it inside the keg.

Linc
Yea, i wonder that as well...is the bottling bucket spigot high enough to avoid the sludge?

missing_link, the word secondary is misleading!! It really should be called clearing. All fermentation should take place in the primary. I got a few people into homebrewing at my work, and they are obsessed with the "secondary". They transfer way to early every single time. I keep telling them, WAIT!!!!!! but they don't. O well. At least they are homebrewing.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #17
solbergg
Recipes 

I tried to rack from my bucket spigot once, but the spigot itself was separating at the meld point, which resulted in beer fizzing out in all directions. Unless better spigots are available, I'm sticking with auto-siphoning. I'm also curious to find out how you avoid getting trub when you use the spigot.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #18
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-boy
Its hard to beat a 6.5 gallon glass carboy that wont scratch for
$21.00 as long as you don't drop it.....
Show me how you port one.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #19
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Buckets to kegs. It can't get simpler.

What's with the red light? Are you developing film at the same time? Do you run the Bee Cave brothel?

Old 04-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #20
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing link
I crash cool my buckets to about 37 degrees. This compacts the yeast into a nice firm cake that is pretty solid. When I go to rack to a keg, I spray the spigot with starsan a couple times over a 3 minute period. It drains into my gray Rubbermaid Bus Pan below. After it is sanitized, I pull the airlock, then gently open the spigot and draw off about 2 ounces. The yeast resting in the spigot comes out, then the rest is clear. I then pull off a hydrometer jar sample before connecting a short length of sanitized 3/8" silicone hose. I lower the hose into the keg before pushing it on to the spigot. It is cut to fit right to the bottom and because it is silicone, it does not curl. The keg has been purged with CO2, so splashing inside is not an oxidation risk.

I do all my beers this way and it has worked very well for me. Beers are clear and tasty. The only time I use my Auto Siphon is for my Apfelwein which is in Better Bottles.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply