Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Temperature logging system?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2117 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

Default Temperature logging system?

I have want of a temperature logging system for during the fermentation process. My original plan was to use a thermocouple and a data collection system, but I could not find anything that I thought I could build easily enough, nor could I find anything cheap enough for my budget.

My next plan is to have a webcam snap pics of a thermometer every hour or so. Yes, a bit clumsy, but unless someone has a better idea that is what I am forced to do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Brewers Hardware
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Check out the Brew Troller at www.brewtroller.com The logging capability isn't there yet, but I'm pretty sure Matt is working on it. It's relatively easy to build and has a lot of other features. the "FermTroller" is still not being readily developed but is in the works.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

what is your budget? Try this. It's a logger for grade school science classes

Go!Temp

Old 04-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2117 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

The brewtroller program is cool, but I'm not interested in controlling anything, just taking readings.

The Go!temp device looks pretty nice! The accuracy is where it needs to be, and the price is within my contraints. I'll have to read up some more, but that looks exactly like what i was shooting for! Hopefully you can choose the interval.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
kaiser423
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yea, the GoTemps are nice, and work quite well. I second those.

If you're looking to do more, then a real cheap Digital in/out device is a labjack. If you're looking to monitor/log multiple temps, other inputs, trigger some things or something like that they're cheap and easy to use.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
freddyb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If you have a spare computer with a parallel port, you can do temp logging for just the cost of a temp sensor (~$5). Check out this guy's site: TLOG Temperature Logger Utility

That same temp sensor interfaces really easily to the Brewtroller or an even cheaper Arduino project board if you ever wanted to expand to multiple sensors and multiple I/Os for controlling fermentation temps down the road.

I plan on putting together a temperature logging device to measure ambient air temp outside of the fermenter as well as temps inside the fermenter with a thermowell. Then I'll probably add heating/cooling elements for temp control.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Fermentation temperature monitoring system: I need your help brainstorming

I have two Sony Vaio pcg 505fx laptop computers. These are an old model from the 90's but were awesome at the time. Anyway, they are super cheap now and very small.

for example.

So I have two of these guys, and I want to use one for a fermentation control. I want to be able to monitor the temperature of multiple vessels and log the temperatures over time. I would then be able to print out charts of the ferment temps for record keeping.

Now I know this can be done, and that we can figure out a way to do it.

I was thinking an Arduino card in communication with the comp somehow. I have not used any of these project cards and am not a programmer by trade. The computer is old and runs slow with new systems so here are my questions:

1. What OS should I use. I want the most streamlined system possible since this comp will only be monitoring the temps of 8 vessels, and running no other programs.

2. What hardware do you think I should use? Arduino, other, I am way off base.

3. Is this realistic, can I do this?

Lets get some discussion going. Since these comps can be had for so cheap, this could be a very realistic project for a bunch of people, and could be useful to the community.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 401 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Do you simply want to monitor temps or have it control temps??

this thread was just started a few minutes ago... not sure how you would do multiple ones but my guess is someone could tell you pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have had the idea for a while but didn't want to trample into the other thread. I know, I know, sorry for the repeat.

I do not want to control temps, I already have my chamber all set up (see my sig). I just want to be able to monitor real time and collect data on all my fermentations.

My hope for the end product is an interface where I can have between 1-8 temperature probes operating. I can turn activate/deactivate them depending on how many I need. Then the interface will monitor and log the temperatures of the active probes. The output should be shown on screen as real time temperature monitoring, and log the temperature history for optional viewing and printing.

The temp logs would be printed and added to my brewing journal for record keeping purposes.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 401 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Would have been a LOT more helpful if I had pasted the thread...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/temp...system-112020/

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Quick Reply