HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Temperature Controller Wiring Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
Munsoned
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry, no pics of the wiring, and it's all wrapped up in electrical tape and installed into my keezer collar in a mounted electrical box. However, I can tell you that I followed Rick500's diagram exactly, and it worked no problem.

I did not wire directly into the freezer--I didn't want to mess up the freezer's power cord in case I want to unconvert it one day. Instead, I used a 10ft heavy duty extension cord. Cut it in half. Wired the extension cord into/out of the controller. Plugged the male end of the cord into the wall (hot side) and then plugged the freezer into the female end of the cord.

Clear as mud? Let me know if that isn't clear, or if you need any extra thoughts on this.

I'll see if I can take a pic or two tonight. If nothing else, it will show you how I installed the thing into the collar, and how I ran the extension cord to and fro...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #12
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I took a somewhat different (but electrically identical) approach, and cut the female end off the heavy duty extension cord and put on a junction box with a double wall outlet in it instead. (Only really needed one outlet, but having two doesn't hurt. Now I can plug in a lamp or something that goes on and off with the compressor. If I get really bored. ) Just gave me a nice sealed box to contain the connections.

I just wrapped the connections at the controller with electrical tape.

My wire was, I think, 14 gauge stranded, so it was pretty heavy. I tinned the ends that go into the controller with solder to guard against stray copper strands at the controller. Don't want any AC wires touching that shouldn't.

Last edited by Rick500; 08-13-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:21 AM   #13
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
I took a somewhat different (but electrically identical) approach, and cut the female end off the heavy duty extension cord and put on a junction box with a double wall outlet in it instead. (Only really needed one outlet, but having two doesn't hurt. Now I can plug in a lamp or something that goes on and off with the compressor. If I get really bored. ) Just gave me a nice sealed box to contain the connections.
That's a great idea. I'll probably do my fermentation/lagering fridge (when I build it) that way.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:37 AM   #14
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Here are some of my keezer pics.

Here are some of my keezer pics. Sorry so grainy.

Last edited by Munsoned; 08-14-2009 at 01:41 AM.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:41 AM   #15
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Old 08-14-2009, 02:10 AM   #16
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used the same black and red heavy duty extension cord.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #17
DanO69
Recipes 

Hi all- I've been thinking about using a chest freezer for fermentation temp control, the caveat being that it will be in my garage which means I will probably need to provide some heat during the winter, rather than just using it to cool. Is there a temp controller similar to the Love that will switch between heat (I haven't figured out what to use as a heating element yet) and cooling automatically?

Thanks,
Dan O.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #18
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanO69 View Post
Hi all- I've been thinking about using a chest freezer for fermentation temp control, the caveat being that it will be in my garage which means I will probably need to provide some heat during the winter, rather than just using it to cool. Is there a temp controller similar to the Love that will switch between heat (I haven't figured out what to use as a heating element yet) and cooling automatically?

Thanks,
Dan O.
Welcome! Yup, you would need a two stage controller I think. I don't have one, so I'm not exactly sure what model, but they exist, and I'm sure Love makes them too. Basically, they kick on one power source if the temperature goes below a certain set level, and turn on another power source if the temperature gets above a different set level. Plug one power source into the freezer (to cool), and another to a thermo-jacket, heat lamp, or something else (to warm), and there you go.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #19
johnodon
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munsoned View Post
Sorry, no pics of the wiring, and it's all wrapped up in electrical tape and installed into my keezer collar in a mounted electrical box. However, I can tell you that I followed Rick500's diagram exactly, and it worked no problem.

I did not wire directly into the freezer--I didn't want to mess up the freezer's power cord in case I want to unconvert it one day. Instead, I used a 10ft heavy duty extension cord. Cut it in half. Wired the extension cord into/out of the controller. Plugged the male end of the cord into the wall (hot side) and then plugged the freezer into the female end of the cord.

Clear as mud? Let me know if that isn't clear, or if you need any extra thoughts on this.

I'll see if I can take a pic or two tonight. If nothing else, it will show you how I installed the thing into the collar, and how I ran the extension cord to and fro...
Sorry to ressurect an old thread but I will be doing this shortly.

I am also going to hack an extension cord rather than cut the freezer power cord. My question is if you did anything with the ground? Does the part of teh extension cord that goes to the outlet not need to be grounded?

Sorry...I am electrically challenged!

TIA,

John
Tap #1: BM's Black Pearl Porter
Tap #2
: Bell's Two-Hearted Ale
Tap #3: Big O. Great Pumpkin Ale
Tap #4: Big O. No Ordinary Bitter
Tap #5: BM's Aberdeen Brown Ale

On Deck: EdWort's Apfelwein; Victory HopDevil

Primary: BM's Centennial Blonde

Cube: Nada

Upcoming: Stoudt's Scarlet Lady; Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA; Russian Rivers Pliny the Elder

Old 09-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #20
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

When I wired up my controller with an extension cord, I had to cut the ground wire because I couldn't get the cord apart otherwise. I just put it back together with a wire nut. I think that the ground from the freezer still runs through the extension cord to the wall, so you should be good.

Quick Reply