Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Temperature Controller Wiring Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 04:03 AM   #1
Munsoned
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Temperature Controller Wiring Help

Hi all. I'm hoping someone can lend me a hand with this. I bought a Love Controller (TSX-10140) thinking it would be easy to wire up. Unfortunately, I forgot that I'm only a few IQ points above "Petarded" (Family Guy fans out there will understand).

The stamp on it implies that it was made in 2007. Can anyone decipher this thing for me? Sorry for the grainy images--my phone is the only working camera in the house at the moment. It seems like it should be simple, but rather than keep fiddling with it, I figured I'd try to get some help from the professionals!

Should also mention: I'm using a spliced heavy duty extension cord to do this, (NOT wiring it directly to the compressor.)

Thanks!

lovecontroller1.jpg   lovecontroller2.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 04:20 AM   #2
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

There is a thread on the forum on how to wire the controller. Do a search.

Guy

Old 07-23-2009, 04:30 AM   #3
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I searched, but all I found was a different, newer model with different inputs...

Old 07-23-2009, 04:32 AM   #4
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the same one.

First: Note -- I have not installed this in the keezer yet (I'm still building it). But I did wire it up and plug it in, and it functions as it should.

Here's how I did it... I have the pre-2008 version (although I bought it new this month).

Here's the diagram on the sticker on my controller (I left the connection to [3] off in the diagram since I'm only using 1 probe):

Old 07-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Rick500--Dude, you're awesome! Thanks a ton. I definitely did not try that configuration last night. After sleeping on it I had another idea this morning, but looking at your write-up, I don't think it would have worked.

I'm only using one probe too, so it looks like we have the exact same setup.

For future Love Controller researchers out there that run across this thread, I got my controller from Drillspot.com for about $58 shipped (free 3-day shipping).

Old 07-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Rick500
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munsoned View Post
For future Love Controller researchers out there that run across this thread, I got my controller from Drillspot.com for about $58 shipped (free 3-day shipping).
Me too. I specifically wanted this model because I liked the blue buttons.

Comes with the probe too. Good deal.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Following up:

I wired it up last night per your instructions--success! Thanks again for your help on this! (I also liked the blue buttons and the fact that I didn't have to buy the probe separately). I'm in the middle of my keezer build at the moment. I *think* I programmed it last night, then I hooked it up to the freezer. I forgot to check the temp reading before I left for work this morning--hopefully it's sitting around 38-39* or so.

Assuming its functioning properly when I get home tonight, I'll try to cut out a piece of the keezer collar and mount it up this weekend. Then I'm going to make a thermowell for the probe. I'll probably use an old White Labs vial filled with StarSan, and a crimped/soldered stainless steel toilet water supply line.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Forgot to mention: when I hooked up the probe, the readings on the controller were way off. I swapped the wires and that seemed to do the trick. I'm really not sure if the probe wires are specific that way or not, but just thought I'd share my experience.

I also think you can program in a temperature factor to "callobrate" the controller (i.e., tell it to read a few degrees up/down from what it gets off the probe). I'll do some temperature tests with my other trusty thermometers in the keezer over the next week or so in the 35-45* range, and then modify the controller up/down as needed.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
Rick500
Recipes 

Looking again at the diagram, I guess it would make more sense if I had reversed what's connected to [8] and [9] but it shouldn't matter one way or the other. The two together are either open or closed regardless of which way you wire them to the load and hot.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
android
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

munsoned, do you have any photos of your wiring? did you end up connecting it to the freezer or just wire a plug into the controller?

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Quick Reply