Temp probe falls out of thermowell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fortydegnorth

Reaction score
I have ebay stainless thermowells in a tee on my Brutus just like Lonnie did. The Love temp probes have the vinyl coating removed already (used stand). The probes fit very loose in the thermowells so they don't want to stay in there well. The inside of the thermowell is also threaded 1/2" npt, is there a fitting that I could put over the probe wire to hold the probes in the thermowell? I often here the probes are too big with the vinyl coating but the previous owner already removed the coating. Could I wrap the wire with electrical tape to build it up to hold it snugly in the thermowell, maybe?

I've heard plumbers putty works well for this.

Another thought is to put an o-ring around the cable that is just smaller than the opening of the thermowell

That gets me thinking that an airlock stopper would work. Even a drilled one if I just put some silicone or something in the hole to hold the probe wire in the stopper. The stopper should cram into the npt pretty snuggly. I think I'll try that, only a few cents if it doesn't work.

Back