Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Temp controller help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Aleforge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Temp controller help

I know about the ranco's but I am looking for a temp controller that I can "plug" the appliance into and then into the wall. This way I can bypass doing any wiring myself and get it going instantly. One problem as outside of the ranco I wasn't sure if anyone could reccomend a no-wire model? I need to pick one up this week and would love some suggestions!

Thanks a bunch!

-Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Johnson Controls... they have them at morebeer, northern brewer, etc

Old 02-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipans
I know about the ranco's but I am looking for a temp controller that I can "plug" the appliance into and then into the wall. This way I can bypass doing any wiring myself and get it going instantly. One problem as outside of the ranco I wasn't sure if anyone could reccomend a no-wire model? I need to pick one up this week and would love some suggestions!

Thanks a bunch!

-Mark
It really isn't too much work to wire up the Johnson Controls temp controllers, and if you do it yourself, you can save a ton of money (without even having to switch your car insurance). I got my Johnson A-19 controller from ebay for $16 shipped.

Here are easy instructions on how to wire it:

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/johnsoncontroller.html

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Old 02-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I agree. It's easy. In fact, if you're reluctant to wire this thing, I recommend not buying a house or you'll be a$$ raped anytime you want to change a light switch out.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can't find one on ebay but thanks for the guide link. For some reason I thought you had to hard wire the controller into the deep freezer itself!

-Mark

Oh btw, where does the freezer plug into that controller? The extension cord mod? and if so how does outside power come in I dont see a second plug.

Last edited by Aleforge; 02-04-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustreking
It really isn't too much work to wire up the Johnson Controls temp controllers, and if you do it yourself, you can save a ton of money (without even having to switch your car insurance). I got my Johnson A-19 controller from ebay for $16 shipped.

Here are easy instructions on how to wire it:

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/johnsoncontroller.html
I don't know much about electrical stuff and i wired up a Johnson a19 as well following your instructions. I have yet to actually get a chance to use it as my keezer is waiting for someone with a truck to move it to my apartment...

But i had a question about the wiring. Does it matter which end you wire to which screw? i.e. does the pronged end of the extension cord need to be wired to the top screw or bottom screw? or does it not matter?

Thanks

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 02-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It doesn't matter. The controller just connects or disconnect the two terminals depending on the temp. Think of it as holding both wires in your hands and touching the bare ends together when you want the fridge to come on.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
lustreking
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chello
I don't know much about electrical stuff and i wired up a Johnson a19 as well following your instructions. I have yet to actually get a chance to use it as my keezer is waiting for someone with a truck to move it to my apartment...

But i had a question about the wiring. Does it matter which end you wire to which screw? i.e. does the pronged end of the extension cord need to be wired to the top screw or bottom screw? or does it not matter?

Thanks
Glad I could help!

I doesn't matter how you wire an SPST switch, which the A19ABA-40C has, so you should be good to go when your freezer arrives.

If you want to play with it before then, plug a lamp into it and see how it turns on and off when you adjust the temperature setting.

My brewing site:

Old 02-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nice! i just did play with it on a lamp but i think i may have gotten one that wont work for a freezer...

I got the a19-AAA which according to the post on here somewhere the AAA seemed like it should work.

So when i just had it in the lamp, the lap would turn ON when i adjusted the temp lower than 70 degrees and OFF when higher. Does that mean that my freezer will stay on when the temperature is colder and off when its hotter, which is opposite of what i want?

Or does a freezer work differently than the lamp did?

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 02-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
lustreking
Recipes 

If you ambient temp is 70 degrees, it should be operating correctly. If the sensor is measuring 70 degrees and it is set to 40 degrees the lamp (freezer) should turn on to cool it off. If you set it for 80 degrees, the lamp (freezer) should turn off, because the sensor is alread below 80 degrees.

I think you should be good to go when you get your freezer!

My brewing site:

Quick Reply