Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Temp Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3001 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Temp Controller

I all of a sudden have an immediate need for a temperature controller. I need to get it ASAP. I am thinking about getting this http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1RC41 and getting a thermocoupler for it to put in the fridge as a probe but im not sure how well that will work for what I need. Any suggestions on this? Will it work? And other ideas that will be relatively cheap? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Depends, that one works for 100*F to 240*F. Also it is supplied by 24 volt. I would do a search on this site for temperature controls and read the numerous threads to make up your mind, but I use a Love control and also have Ranco ETC's as well. That one you pointed out also needs a probe which the two I mentioned come with. It really depends on what you want to use it for, but the standard vanilla here is the two I mentioned and Johnston Control as well. A search will bring up all of the relevant info for you. Hope this helps you out.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3001 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
Depends, that one works for 100*F to 240*F.
Good Point about the temp range. I saw "Ambient Temperature Range -40 to 140 Degrees Fahrenheit" but kind of ignored the ambient part of that. So i guess that out of the questions now. Thanks for recomendation of the other two controlers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 08-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
GearBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

With temperature controllers I would suggest that you find one that can run off 110V AC (WortMonger hinted at this). Less junk = lighter headache.

Search eBay, there are a number of PID and gated controllers for sale on the cheap. You can find spec sheets for them with a quick google search. You should also consider your uses and the sensor's thermocouple compatability.
For example: I recently purchased 3 cheapo PID temperature controllers that can operate on 6 different thermocouples. They came with K-types, which are accurate over a HUGE (0-1100 C) range, but can accept the more applicable T-type, which will offer a more granular accuracy for brewing purposes because it's accurate between -185-300 C.

Kyle

Quick Reply