New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Temp Control Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
morrasy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temp Control Question

I recently picked up a used full size fridge that I want to convert into my fermenting space and make it temp controlled. I see there are a few different ways to do this, morebeer has the thermowell system that works with the thermowrap and I've also heard of people using heating lamps. I'm sure there are other methods out there. Can anyone give me some advice as to which would be the best method to control my temp during fermentation using this fridge? This warm weather days and cold nights are causing too much temp fluctuation for my beer. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Get a Ranco or Johnson temperature controller. Essentially, this unit replaces the thermostat on your fridge, which isn't very precise. If you do a search on Ranco, you will see lots of posts come up -- they are a great controller.

If your fridge is going to be in a cold environment (temperature drops below freezing) then you may have to get a two-stage controller (more expensive) and have it control both a cooling device (i.e. fridge) and a heating device (e.g., heat bulb or space heater). My beer fridge is in the garage, so I cool in the summer and heat in the winter.

Otherwise, just get a single-stage controller. Should cost about $30 - $100 bucks, depending on the brand and type.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I purchased (via the net) a Ranco ETC 111000 TC last night.

It cost me $47.95 plus 8.90 S&H = $56.85. It should arrive within the week

I'll re-look at some freezers later in the week.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I purchased (via the net) a Ranco ETC 111000 TC last night.

It cost me $47.95 plus 8.90 S&H = $56.85. It should arrive within the week

I'll re-look at some freezers later in the week.
That's a good price. I have the same unit and love it. I also have Johnson controller (not digital), and it is OK, just not as convenient.

My next purchase is a freezer for fermentation, too. I just have to find room for it first!

Old 07-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
That's a good price. I have the same unit and love it. I also have Johnson controller (not digital), and it is OK, just not as convenient.

My next purchase is a freezer for fermentation, too. I just have to find room for it first!
I'll have to move a couple of 2X4X8 shelving units in the garage first...

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 07-24-2007 at 08:55 PM.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
morrasy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
If your fridge is going to be in a cold environment (temperature drops below freezing) then you may have to get a two-stage controller (more expensive) and have it control both a cooling device (i.e. fridge) and a heating device (e.g., heat bulb or space heater). My beer fridge is in the garage, so I cool in the summer and heat in the winter.
My fridge will be in my garage too. Does anyone have any experience with the Thermowell system? It looks pretty nice but kinda expensive.

Quick Reply