Teel 1P898 Pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltnHops

Reaction score
I was given this pump, a Teel 1P898, and the 1/2 HP motor that runs the pump. I know that it is food safe and that it can handle boiling temps, but I cannot find any info on it online. Does anyone have any experience with this type of pump or can anyone point me in a direction to search?

It was free, so I'd like to use it, but if I'm unable to, then it looks like I'll have to buy a Chugger or March.

I have a Teel that I bought at least 15 yrs ago. I can't remember the model and I'd have to remove the protective shroud I built around it to get the model number. I know the model I have is out of production and I have the receipt around here somewhere. I remember it was not a cheap pump. I read an article in Zymurgy or Brewing Techniques about building a RIMS and they used a Teel pump. I purchased the exact same pump from Grainger. Our second daughter was born in 1996 and that kinda took up a lot of time and I stopped brewing until 2009. That pump was brand new and still the original box but I had kept it. It was an industrial pump and I had to wire it but I use it every time I brew as a RIMS pump. The cover is held on by wingnuts and I can easily remove the impeller assembly for cleaning. Mine starts to squeal and stop working aroud 200-F, so it is not good for boiling temps, but up until that point it runs smoothly and quietly.

Back