Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Teel 1P898 Pump?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
MaltnHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Teel 1P898 Pump?

I was given this pump, a Teel 1P898, and the 1/2 HP motor that runs the pump. I know that it is food safe and that it can handle boiling temps, but I cannot find any info on it online. Does anyone have any experience with this type of pump or can anyone point me in a direction to search?

It was free, so I'd like to use it, but if I'm unable to, then it looks like I'll have to buy a Chugger or March.

Bottled: Udder Nonsense Milk Stout, Off Your Rocker Cider
Keg #1: Udder Nonsense Milk Stout
Keg #2: Explosive IPA
Keg #3: Explosive IPA
Keg #4: Nothing
Fermenting: Nothing
Next On Deck: Maibock?
Brewed in 2012: 65 gallons
Brewed in 2013: 55 gallons
Brewed in 2014: 25 gallons

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I have a Teel that I bought at least 15 yrs ago. I can't remember the model and I'd have to remove the protective shroud I built around it to get the model number. I know the model I have is out of production and I have the receipt around here somewhere. I remember it was not a cheap pump. I read an article in Zymurgy or Brewing Techniques about building a RIMS and they used a Teel pump. I purchased the exact same pump from Grainger. Our second daughter was born in 1996 and that kinda took up a lot of time and I stopped brewing until 2009. That pump was brand new and still the original box but I had kept it. It was an industrial pump and I had to wire it but I use it every time I brew as a RIMS pump. The cover is held on by wingnuts and I can easily remove the impeller assembly for cleaning. Mine starts to squeal and stop working aroud 200-F, so it is not good for boiling temps, but up until that point it runs smoothly and quietly.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply