The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Tapping the finished product

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
psujeeperman02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tapping the finished product

Hey guys,

I just bought a new kegerator from Circuity City. I am at work and i forget the name brand of it. Anyway, here is my problem.

Ill get home from a long day at work, and grab a frosty mug to tap a fresh brew. The first pour always comes out with a huge head on it. In a pint glass, I will get about 75% foam in the glass. If i set that one aside, and tap another beer into a new pint glass, it will come out normal.

This happens everyday.

is there something that i am doing wrong? is there an adjustment with the CO2 tank, or something that causes the first tap to always be so foamy?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
bobbyc

Recipes 

What pressure is your CO2 at currently?

Old 02-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
jlinner

Recipes 

Lower the pressure of the o2 or buy a longer beer line the minimize foam but I would lower the pressure first.

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit."

www.whitemountainbrewingco.com

Old 02-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
psujeeperman02
Recipes 

I keep the pressure at 10-12 psi. I looked online and that is what everyone seems to be happy at. I tested it by setting the pressure to 5psi, and the same thing happend, just came out much slower.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
psujeeperman02
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinner
Lower the pressure of the o2 or buy a longer beer line the minimize foam but I would lower the pressure first.

Call me ignorant, but how would a longer beer line minimize the foam?

Old 02-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
bobbyc

Recipes 

It loses pressure based on length and ID of the tubing. I don't know how much exactly, but I'm sure someone can answer that. I've always heard 10-12 psi and a 6 foot beer line works pretty well. That's what I have, and it does work fine.

Also, this might be obvious, but make sure you're pulling the tap handle all the way out. A partial pull will foam like mad.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Another possible cause is the line & tap warming up during the day. The first pull cools everything off, but foams too much and the second is fine.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-19-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujeeperman02
The first pour always comes out with a huge head on it. In a pint glass, I will get about 75% foam in the glass. If i set that one aside, and tap another beer into a new pint glass, it will come out normal.

This happens everyday.
I have a Haier kegerator, with 5 ft. beer lines and the same issue. I solve it by using two glasses. One for the short burst first that I set aside for a few minutes, and a second that I drink from.

I'm thinking it is coming from the not as cooled beer in the line in the tower.

I've become used to it and it only happens if the kegerator has not been used for a while.

Perhaps it's lonely and mad that its handle has not been pulled all day?

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 02-19-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
voodoochild7
Recipes 

I have the same problem all I do is pull the purge valve on my keg and get rid of the extra pressure first.

Chuck

Primary 1: Imperial Stout
Primary 2: Golden Ale
Keg 1: Nothing
Keg 2: Nothing

Old 02-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #10
Jer
Recipes 

Quote:
I'm thinking it is coming from the not as cooled beer in the line in the tower.
I read a lot of info on this once I got my kegerator cause I ran into the same problem... There were a few different ways people dealt with it...

You can circulate the cold are up into the tower with a fan or something.. I started to rig something up, but haven't finished it yet.. I took a plastic project box, a computer fan, and a tube... I'll let ya know how it works out, although currently it doesn't seem to blow enough air, I might have a leak in the box or the fan might not be strong enough..

Another interesting one was someone took a copper tube filled it with salt water and sealed it on each end. He made it long enough to sit on top of the keg and extend up into the tower... The idea was that it would transfer the cold through the copper into the tower.. He said it worked great, although he had a sanke keg, so it might have been easier to set the copper tube on that than 3-4 cornies...

Last edited by Jer; 02-19-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply