Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Tandem Therminator Plate Chillers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Tandem Therminator Plate Chillers

I am moving up to 20 gallon (and hopefully larger) batch sizes and want to be able to cool down the wort quickly to pitching temperature at the end of the boil. I also whirlpool and have been using a Therminator with 10 Gallon batches very successfully. I am thinking about hooking up the flow of wort in series through a second Therminator and paralleling the ground water (Garden hose) hookup. I am also going to add a valve for doing an ice water recirc after I drop to about 100 degrees to keep things moving along. I am currently using a March 815 pump for whirl pooling and pumping through the plate chiller(s) and am curious if it even has enough oomph to get a good whirlpool going on a 20 gallon batch. Has anyone hooked up more than one plate chiller and had good or bad results? Any thoughts on what I'm planning or am I totally nuts : )

Happy Brewing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I'm disappointed with my chuggers performance getting a decent whirlpool with 10 gallons, and that's without going through any plate chillers. Good luck! Let us know how it works!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Build and then use this:

The motor is a very low RPM unit and the stirrer and prop is something I designed and built.

Something like this will keep your water/wort in a strong sheer motion. No need for a whirlpool pump.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
marcb
Recipes 

Nice, does Your setup cone all of the trub? Do you use a side pickup to minimize disturbing the cone?

Old 08-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 15

At the brewpub I do my pro-am beers at, we use a Therminator and Chillzilla in series for 23 gallon and 1-barrel batches. Tap water goes through the therminator, and cold water from a Sanke keg goes through the counterflow chiller. Works very effectively. No reason why this wouldn't work with cold water in a couple of corny kegs as well - just takes some CO2 to push it through the chiller. Similar concept to recirculating ice water.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 08-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
Nice, does Your setup cone all of the trub? Do you use a side pickup to minimize disturbing the cone?
No. It is the set up for the HLT. Pump your brew through the coil after you do your initial chill through the Therminator. Just use very cold water in the HLT and you will drop the wort temp in one pass through your system.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
stevehaun
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I use a therminator on 30 and 35 gallon batches and it works fine. I pump directly from BK into fermenter. My well water is 55F and I have no problem chilling to 60F at a wort flow rate of about 1 gallon per minute.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
No. It is the set up for the HLT. Pump your brew through the coil after you do your initial chill through the Therminator. Just use very cold water in the HLT and you will drop the wort temp in one pass through your system.
Ah, got it. I was scratching my head as I thought it was your BK! I already use a convoluted heat exchanger in the HLT which is where I intend to do the ice bath with a valve on one of the therminators to switchover from tap to ice bath coil. What temp do you cutover on your rig?

Old 08-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehaun
I use a therminator on 30 and 35 gallon batches and it works fine. I pump directly from BK into fermenter. My well water is 55F and I have no problem chilling to 60F at a wort flow rate of about 1 gallon per minute.
Good to know, thanks! So no recirc, just slow flow into the fermenter.... Cool, I'm also looking to recirc and whirlpool to keep the trub and gunk from making it into the therminator as I make some really hoppy beers and even with bags the hop pellets leave a lot of crud.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

We started doing this last year...

Breweries will chill the water with glycol in the first chiller and use that water to chill the wort in the second. The water is recirculated.
How the big boys do it...

p1040402.jpg  

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Quick Reply