Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Taking a break from brewing until I have a mill...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
daholl01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Taking a break from brewing until I have a mill...

That being said I do already have 15 gallons fermenting or conditioning, as well as another 3-4 drinkable gallons of homebrew right now.

I have done 7 AG brews now and really feel comfortable in my technique, however my efficiency has not been very good (mid 60s). This leads me to believe that the crush from the HBS that I have been ordering (MoreBeer) is not adequate, and also inconsistent. I have been using my pre-boil efficiency to calculate a DME addition to get closer to my OG which has worked, depending on how my efficiency has been. I am thinking a mill will allow me to not only jump my efficiency to 75-80% but also give me consistent results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
SporkD2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My first AG brew was 55%, then before I had my own mill consistently hit 65% just like you.

Its always great to get higher eff and save some bucks on grain and such. When you break it down however its not more then $5 savings per 10% of eff you get. Just make sure you adjust your recipe for the efficency and you will be fine. I wouldn't stop brewing if you start to run out of beer before you get your mill. Even with your mill you might get low eff at first until you get your crush figured out.

Either way, brew on!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
daholl01
Recipes 

Yeah well another reason why I am going to take a little break is because I am moving in about two months and it just doesnt make sense to have carboys filled when I move.

Since I was a new AG brewer, I really wasnt sure if it was my process or the crush and now I have my process down I can eliminate that. Problem is, I dont have a local HBS and I preorder 3-4 batches worth at a time from MoreBeer to get free shipping, and the quantities I ordered were based on 75% efficiency (thinking my technique improvement was the problem with the efficiency).

I guess I just want to get to the point where I am getting a consistent higher efficiency, so maybe a mill with one trial and I should be set.

Quick Reply