New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sweet Gauges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
anthonybalmert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sweet Gauges

So I grabbed a few really nice 2-1/2 in 0-60 PSI gauges for my regulator and other goodies. They are stainless, liguid filled, white face, and cost under $15. Now my 0-2000 gauge looks lame on my regulater. I can get a matching 0-2000, but they cant find a side oriented one. Anyone have a lead on a nice side oriented gauge in a 2-1/2 size? I cant find one anywhere. They said I could get them custom made in quanity, waiting to see what the figures are. The 0-60 I grabbed are on page 2 here http://www.miljoco.com/Products/PDF/Contractor's_Utility_Gauges.pdf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybalmert View Post
So I grabbed a few really nice 2-1/2 in 0-60 PSI gauges for my regulator and other goodies. They are stainless, liguid filled, white face, and cost under $15. Now my 0-2000 gauge looks lame on my regulater. I can get a matching 0-2000, but they cant find a side oriented one. Anyone have a lead on a nice side oriented gauge in a 2-1/2 size? I cant find one anywhere. They said I could get them custom made in quanity, waiting to see what the figures are. The 0-60 I grabbed are on page 2 here http://www.miljoco.com/Products/PDF/Contractor's_Utility_Gauges.pdf
Pressure gages are seldom very expensive and you can usually pick them up locally from a welding supply house or from the gas distributor. Oil filled gages are designed to dampen vibrations. IMO, it has no advantage when used on a CO2 cylinder. Personally, I've never been much concerned about how my tank and gages appear. I did clean up my 20 lb cylinder and gave it a rattle can paint job. It looks fine. I use an unimpressive single gage regulator. No one has ever complained. They drink the beer and ignore my tank and regulator. What's up with that?

Old 07-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I guess you need more discerning friends.

I'll just add that I prefer 0-30 gauges because we usually deal in the 10-14psi range. 0-60 will work but with just a bit less accuracy.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I guess you need more discerning friends.

I'll just add that I prefer 0-30 gauges because we usually deal in the 10-14psi range. 0-60 will work but with just a bit less accuracy.
Bobby; those are my exact thoughts on gauges as seen many times on this forum. Same goes with people that add a 0-10,000 rpm tach on a slow turning stroker motor that will never pass 3,500 rpms. Needle moves but not much.

On the secondary side off your regulator that 0-30 will show twice the needle movement, that alone is a big plus in maintaining accurate readings.
I must add those single stage regulators will creep up your set regulated pressure vs a two stage regulator. Two stage costs more but will maintain your set output from full bottle pressure until empty. This becomes more of a gas savings issue in welding gases that more than pays for that extra cost of two stage regulators over time vs the pressure rise creeping up wasting your sheilding gas. Same applies to your Co2 to your corny's or kegs unless you keep an eye on the gauge and readjust as the bottle drops in pressure. Co2 stays rather solid in gas with liquid in the bottle I must add vs Argon, C-25 or Tri-mix gases.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 07-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
anthonybalmert
Recipes 

Thanks guys for your thoughts on the 0-30 pressure range, I'll switch to those. They are also available readily for around $15

So anyway It appears I can get the matching side oriented gauges, but I'll have to order 50 since they would be custom These are 0-2000 psi, please chime in if that's not the correct range

I'm thinking of doing it and selling the matching sets for between $30 and $40 on ebay. What a miserable sounding idea...... Perhaps I'll just plug the hole in my regulator instead....

Old 07-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
thedigitale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

On the next episode of "Pimp your CO2 Reg"...

Do these come with a little light that flashes in your eye when you get the desired number of volumes?

Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
anthonybalmert
Recipes 

geez, sorry if I offended someone with my question......

Here is a link to the 0-30 gauge for $10 in case anyone is interested.

2-1/2" Face 0-30 psi Liquid Filled Gauge

Sounds like there is no interest from anyone on a matching 0-2000 gauge for co2 regulator applications?

Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
thedigitale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Not offended at all, just reminded me of those tachs that flash at you and thought it was amusing.

Quick Reply