Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sutable Primary Fermentation Vessels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Sutable Primary Fermentation Vessels

I need some input, in my attempts to make a one bed room apartment in to a brewery. hopefully in August I will be moving in to a house with a Garage but for now I have to keep things on the small scale.

first: was to cut the old Keg-or-ator from a full size in my garage to a mini in the apartment.p1010081.jpg

Now I am wanting to try Lagering and have a mini fridge and a temperature regulator to make a Lager-ator. The problem is that the fridge will not fit my primary fermentation vessel, but I can get a 5gal corny in it for the secondary, so the beer will only be in the primary for a week or so.

I found a couple options that can fit in the mini.
a) 5 GAL SQUARE WHITE JUG WITH 70 MM SCREW CAP
Rectangular Jug (14 3/4" x 9 3/4")

* 100% high density, high molecular weight polyethylene * UN-Rated for hazardous products * Versatile self-supporting containers * Easy-grip 180° swing handle and molded-in bottom grip for easy pouring * Smooth, seamless interior * In-line spout for complete draining * Top and bottom designed for superior stackability * Hot fill up to 160° F * FDA and USDA approved

OR
b) Igloo Cargo® 6 Gallon Water Container
Item No: CARGO 6G

Description:
Ideal for safely transporting and storing water. Rugged, heavy-wall construction for durability. Spout makes pouring easy, stores inside container when not in use. Molded-in top handle for easy carrying and pouring. Molded-in side handle makes pouring even easier. Pull-up vent for smooth pouring. FDA-approved blue.

Features:

* UV Inhibitors

Specifications
Size: 13.94"L x 7.25"W x 21.69"H
Capacity: 6 Gal. (22.7L)

Any advice for using one these for a Primary Fermentation Vessel?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

That Igloo container looks like it would be a nightmare to clean. I suspect the handles are hollow. Major crud traps.

"Smooth, seamless interior" sounds much better.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
Adrian Abascal
Recipes 

I like the first one the best. How much are they?

Old 12-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Abascal
I like the first one the best. How much are they?
In the UK a lot of commercial catering supplies are packed in these, fruit concentrates, malt etc.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:10 PM   #5
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

They are between $15 and $20 Plus shipping. I might try to order a few if it cuts down on the shipping cost.

I set Up my lagering fridge last night and it is holding it's temp at 45ºF so thats good. I will probably order the Bay tech jugs tonight, but wont get to brew till after the new year, But Ill post the catastrophe as it unfolds.

Quick Reply