Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Suggestions needed - want to buy my best man a piece of home brew equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 08:44 PM   #11
Parker36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I gift card to his local hombrew store really isn't THAT impersonal when you think about it a little. It shows that you know he likes hombrewing and where he goes.

That being said, if he isn't kegging, a starter kit would be awesome. If he is, maybe some extra kegs or a nitro system?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #12
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I see a lot of good ideas on this but most assume what the guy is already using or needing. A mill (for example) is an excellent unless he is an extract only guy. Same with kegging if he prefers bottles or vice-versa... A gift-card covers all but doesn't carry the same weight as a personal, well thought out gift...although I'd go "ape" for a gift-card!

The key is going to be how familiar you really are with you best man and his current brewing techniques. I would make an uber point to find out precisely what he has vs. needs. When in doubt, go "covert" and ask his SWMBO to do some "snooping" for you. Find out something really precise and then nail the best-man-gift like a pro!

Good luck on the gift and the wedding!!

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 10-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #13
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
nail the best-man like a pro!
Fixed that for ya, Tripod!

If he kegs and has a kegerator, some custom tap handles would be an awesome gift. Nostalgia here on the forum makes some incredible ones!

But I'm with Harv- a gift card is a completely appropriate and practical choice in this case. Definitely a membership to AHA.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:54 PM   #14
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 360 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I would agree that a gift card is a nice gesture and probably a nice gift and maybe appropriate, but you can't deny that a well thought out gift is much nicer to receive. It just says...Hay I really put some effort and thought into your gift. IMHO
Not that I would turn down a $150 gift card from B3 or anything.
I just think of gifts a little different than others. Not better or worse just different.
Congrats on the wedding and I applaud you for taking time and giving a thoughtful gift, that’s pretty cool of you.
Cheers
JJ

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

Old 10-16-2008, 01:53 AM   #15
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

tell him you heard Nov. 1 is 'teach someone to brew day' and you're interested in learning. check out how he brews, and ask lots of questions. If there's something he mentions he really 'needs,' your job is easy. If not, you're going to have to remember how he brews and report back here.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:58 AM   #16
DutchK9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post

If he kegs and has a kegerator, some custom tap handles would be an awesome gift. Nostalgia here on the forum makes some incredible ones!

But I'm with Harv- a gift card is a completely appropriate and practical choice in this case. Definitely a membership to AHA.
Those tap handles are pretty sweet. icon_smile_thumbup.gif
Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone
Secondary
Bottled & Kegged
Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone, Bass Ale Clone, Midwest English Bitter, Muntons Nut Brown Ale, Coopers Pilsener, Northern Bock, Apfelwein, Select Premium-Merlot, Select Premium-Borolo, Select Premium-Valpolicella, Northern Nut Brown Ale
Gone
Midwest Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Midwest Hanks Hefeweizen

Old 10-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #17
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2253 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1237

You say he has his grains crushed now, but I'm wondering if these could be steeping grains? A crusher is a nice gift if he is doign All-Grain brewing, but it might be important to find out for sure. (Although he is an extract brewer now, and you get him a crusher, it might push in into AG brewing!)

I'd also like to add that an attachment for the food processor isn't going to work as well as a good crusher. I looked that route a while back and the total response has been pretty negative. Plus, the difference in price doesn't make it worth putting up with.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #18
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
YIKES!! Thank you! I definitely meant "nail the best-man-GIFT..."

I guess my brain works faster than my fingers sometimes. I need more beer.

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 10-18-2008, 05:15 AM   #19
ronjer
Recipes 

Default The Toast to the newlyweds...

May your marriage be as beautiful as the bride looks on her wedding day.

Tell him he can use that line at your reception, and then you've already given him your gift....Those toasts are often hard to cough up!!

Just kidding! (only a little)
I am + 1 on kegging...If he does that already, Can you have enough kegs?-(when will all the rhetorical questions end?)

Congrats, and Happiness to you and your Bride!

Old 10-21-2008, 02:28 AM   #20
tornado681
Recipes 

hey guys,

thanks for all the suggestions. I think i am going to go with the first suggestion.

--tornado

Quick Reply