The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Structure Build Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

...or you could go vertical with wood:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I like it, really like your chiller stand. Have to decide on immersion or CFC for my new set up

Old 03-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #13
Catt22
Recipes 

Yeah, I designed the chiller stand to get it up off the ground and above the top of the fermenter. I built it with some scrap 1/2" copper pipe and fittings I had laying around. It works well and it's lightweight. The cross pipe in the center makes a convenient handle for moving it around. Works even better than I originally imagined it would:

I originally used an immersion chiller, but changed to the counterflow long ago. It works well for me and if I want to crash cool a la Jamil's method, I just route the output back into the kettle for a similar whirlpool effect.

The four vertical pipes holding the chiller in place also serve as a convenient place to hand hoses to keep them off the ground when not in use or when switching things around. That feature was totally an after thought.

Last edited by Catt22; 03-26-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #14
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Catt22;1221625]Yeah, I designed the chiller stand to get it up off the ground and above the top of the fermenter. I built it with some scrap 1/2" copper pipe and fittings I had laying around. It works well and it's lightweight. The cross pipe in the center makes a convenient handle for moving it around. Works even better than I originally imagined it would:

I originally used an immersion chiller, but changed to the counterflow long ago. It works well for me and if I want to crash cool a la Jamil's method, I just route the output back into the kettle for a similar whirlpool effect.

The four vertical pipes holding the chiller in place also serve as a convenient place to hand hoses to keep them off the ground when not in use or when switching things around. That feature was totally an after thought.[/QUO

What's the small valve on your pump? Bleeder? I will probably go with the CFC. I need to make one and put my pump to use. Immersion is just what I've always used. Everyone I ask says go CFC. Like you set up. This is a great place for deas.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #15
Catt22
Recipes 

[/QUOWhat's the small valve on your pump? Bleeder? I will probably go with the CFC. I need to make one and put my pump to use. Immersion is just what I've always used. Everyone I ask says go CFC. Like you set up. This is a great place for deas.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the small 1/4" valve is a bleeder used to purge any air when priming the pump.

I want to build a new CFC using slightly larger 1/2" OD tubing for the inner copper coil vs. the 3/8" OD the current one has. The reason for the change is that I would like to be able to pump at a higher flow rate when doing the recirculation Jamil method for crash cooling. The 3/8" is too restrictive IMO. It works, but could be faster. I do have some brewing buddies that have abandoned their CFC's in favor of IC's so opinions differ widely on which is the preferred method. I'm seeking the best of both designs in my next one.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #16
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I want to build a new CFC using slightly larger 1/2" OD tubing for the inner copper coil vs. the 3/8" OD the current one has. The reason for the change is that I would like to be able to pump at a higher flow rate when doing the recirculation Jamil method for crash cooling. The 3/8" is too restrictive IMO. It works, but could be faster. I do have some brewing buddies that have abandoned their CFC's in favor of IC's so opinions differ widely on which is the preferred method. I'm seeking the best of both designs in my next one.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I guess going to 1/2" in the CFC would help your flow rate. I think this will be the way I go. I've read about wrapping the exterior of the pipe with solid copper wire to create turbulance. Not sure if it is worth the extra time. I'm about functionality, not over killing the build. I guess a CFC works well if your free of trub and can wirlpool well, or will it pass through the pump? Anyway, thanks for your input.

Quick Reply