New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Strip Thermometer on Plastic or Glass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
yournotpeter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Strip Thermometer on Plastic or Glass?

Greetings -

Does anyone know if those strip thermometers work on plastic bucket fermenters? Or only on glass carboys? I've got one stuck to my plastic bucket and it reads the same temp as the ambient temp. I've got some pretty vigorous fermentation going on an IPA and can't imagine it's not warmer in the fermenter...leading me to believe the thermometer isn't working on the plastic.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
chris1979
Recipes 

ive got one on my bucket seem to work as well as a thermometer on the outside of a bucket can.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Vic_Sinclair
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My fermometers on buckets work fine. I saw it first hand last night when I poured 78 degree wort into a bucket in my 65 degree garage. The fermometer registered the change right away.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
yournotpeter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the replies!

I might have something wrong with my strip thermometer...my strip (which is the same as ambient) is stating 63 degrees....but I decided to take the lid off and take a temp reading to find out for sure, where it read 68 (which I was happy about)...but I think there is something wrong with my strip.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yournotpeter View Post
Thanks for the replies!

I might have something wrong with my strip thermometer...my strip (which is the same as ambient) is stating 63 degrees....but I decided to take the lid off and take a temp reading to find out for sure, where it read 68 (which I was happy about)...but I think there is something wrong with my strip.
They're generally accurate to within 1 degree. Sounds like you just have a bad one.

Quick Reply