Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Strainers For 5 Gallon Buckets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
brewyourown4life
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

those are what the post is about, i use them and they work great for straining the cooled wort

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

The best tool for straining your cooled wort is a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag. Most home brew shops have some version of it.
It also works well for your steeping grains or in a BIAB setup.

Bull

Old 02-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
carluchi
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can also get them at Lowes or Home Depot. They are about $6 for 2 of them. Been using them for years

Old 02-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
nu2brewing
Premium Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

I tried this Kitchenaid colander on my last batch if IIPA. Worked great and cheap.

Kitchenaid Colander

I since have DIY'd a hop bag holder shown in the pics above for a keggle.

On Deck - Citra IPA
Primary 1 &2 - Amber Ale & Air :-(
Kegged: Imperial Stout

Last edited by nu2brewing; 02-06-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: text error

Old 06-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #15
timber_road
Recipes 

I use the EZ strainers. Not many posters on here do. Every time someone posts about the EZ strainers, someone comes back with "whirlpool" or "nylon paint strainer bag" or something similar. These EZ strainers are awesome. They are made to fit perfectly on buckets. I have many size buckets... 3.5, 5 and 6 gallon and they fit perfectly on each bucket. I dont use a bag for my hops. I always found it much easier to just toss them straight into the boil. I also don't have any holes drilled on my kettle. Just chill, pour through the EZ strainer into bucket, aerate (which the EZ strainers also do well) and pitch. Or if you use a carboy, funnel the goodness back into the carboy. The EZ strainer was one of the single best additions I made to my setup.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #16
Cephus91
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber_road View Post
I use the EZ strainers. Not many posters on here do. Every time someone posts about the EZ strainers, someone comes back with "whirlpool" or "nylon paint strainer bag" or something similar. These EZ strainers are awesome. They are made to fit perfectly on buckets. I have many size buckets... 3.5, 5 and 6 gallon and they fit perfectly on each bucket. I dont use a bag for my hops. I always found it much easier to just toss them straight into the boil. I also don't have any holes drilled on my kettle. Just chill, pour through the EZ strainer into bucket, aerate (which the EZ strainers also do well) and pitch. Or if you use a carboy, funnel the goodness back into the carboy. The EZ strainer was one of the single best additions I made to my setup.
I don't use bags for hops either. Ihave been using my wife's kitchen strainer and just ordered one of the EZs - 600 micron. Seems like it will be much easier to use when pouring cold wort into primary bucket.

Is the consensus 600 or 400 micron for this use? I went with the 600.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #17
stamandster
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber_road View Post
I do the exact same thing. But I use 100 micron and it filters out all hops. I have to stir to get the wort through though.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #18
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Will be trying one of these. Just not sure on the micron. Is the wort slow to go through the 100 micron?

Old 12-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #19
brewyourown4life
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

yes it is

Old 12-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #20
brewyourown4life
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephus91 View Post
I don't use bags for hops either. Ihave been using my wife's kitchen strainer and just ordered one of the EZs - 600 micron. Seems like it will be much easier to use when pouring cold wort into primary bucket.

Is the consensus 600 or 400 micron for this use? I went with the 600.
i put a 400 on the bucket first then i put the 600 on top of that, 600 filters bigger stuff and the 400 filters the rest

Quick Reply