Straight-A in used corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OatMan

Reaction score
Just picked up a used corny keg and plan to replace the O-rings and fill the keg up with a straight-a solution. If I leave this overnight followed by sanitizing with iodophor will this do the trick? I've read most people use PBW or oxy clean but I don't have either of those yet. Thanks

Straight-A is a cleaner though isn't it? I plan to use iodophor as my sanitizer. Not sure if I'm correct since I'm so new at this, but I thought that was right.

That should do the trick. I just use a carboy brush and use that to scrub the kegs inside when I clean them. Take the posts off and detach everything and let them soak in cleaner. If the kegs are old you may find that you need to replace the little poppets inside the posts. I have noticed that those are prone to small cracks and small leaks. (not really a concern if always hooked up. )

Straight-A is a cleaner though isn't it? I plan to use iodophor as my sanitizer. Not sure if I'm correct since I'm so new at this, but I thought that was right.

you are correct. you'll just find most of us feel star-san is THE sanitizer to use. its cheap, it works for weeks once mixed, and you'll never detect the flavor in your finished beers if a little too much residue is left behind.

and...it doesn't stain like iodiphor can.

I just switched from PBW to oxyclean and it seems to work fine. You can buy Oxyclean at the supermarket and it's pretty cheap so not having any shouldn't be an excuse for good cleaning / sanitation. :)

-kap

Back