*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Stout Tanks and Kettles - Conical Fermenters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
Rackerman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stout Tanks and Kettles - Conical Fermenters

Has anyone purchased and used the larger conicals offered by Stout?
I'm curious to see your opinion. I'm trying to decide b/w Blichmann and Stout and would like some real world comparisons. One question in particular is if you look at the comparisons on Blichmann and Stout pages things don't really match up, i.e. Stout says their tanks offer Sanitary Commercial Food Grade Welding, while Blichmann says their tanks are weldless and the most sanitary. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What size are you looking at? I owned a Blichmann for a while and sold it and bought a Sabco fermenter (15.5 gal). I loved the Blichmann, but the weldless fittings could be a pain sometimes. If you are doing batches in the 10-13 gallon range, I would highly recommend the Sabco over either of the conicals for 1 reason, I can steam sanitize it and it is all tri-clamp fittings. Brand new the Sabco is running $569 (15.5 gal), Blichmann 14 gallon with standard fittings are running $598 (plus $125 if you want tri-clamp), and the Stout Conical (14.5 gal) is running $450 plus the shipping from Seattle. It looks like you are in Costa Rica so YMMV as far as shipping goes, but you are probably used to that. If you want the tri-clamp conicals, then pricewise you are likely better off with the Stout. There have been many good reviews of them so far so you should not be disappointed. If you are not set on a conical then give the sabco a look:
http://www.brew-magic.com/fermenter.html

Good luck,

Joe

Old 08-16-2010, 02:55 AM   #3
HopIowa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i own both. they are both great. i actually prefer the stout tank conical because it came with a thermowell, it is easier to clean, and the top is much easier to clean and sanitize. i paid the same for both, as my blichmann was purchased used, but new. if i get another - which i won't-i'd get the stout tank. for me it is has came down to clean-ability. the stout tank is easier to clean. and there is no issue with the size of the valve, the quality of the tank, or anything else. i really like it. i like both. ramble ramble...

Old 08-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Rackerman
Recipes 

thanks for the replies,

I'm looking at the 42 gallon Fermenator from Blichmann and the 50 or 60 gal from Stout. I like the Stout tanks, pricewise and cleanability is def. something to consider... sounds like both are good options. I only have a month to order and receive, got back to the States last night, so I better give Stout a call on Monday.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Old 08-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Smeller
Recipes 

Do they both hold pressure?

Old 08-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Rackerman
Recipes 

I spoke with John Watt, who works for/owns(?) Stout Tanks and he had the following to say about the differences b/w the 50 gal. Stout vs. 42 gal. Blichmann conicals:

"Our equipment is designed more like commercial brewing equipment, with sanitary stainless welds and tri-clamp fittings. You may or may not have difficulties with the weldless fittings that they use. The downside to us is that we don't stock big items like that - you would need to order 3 or 4 months before you need it. The upside to this is that we have a lot of different possible sizes and options."

...and yes, they're both designed to hold pressure - are you asking if they actually do hold pressure?

Personally, I only have a month to purchase and receive the fermenter so I'm going with Blichmann. I may go for the Stout next year...

Old 08-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

has anyone bought one recently? It seems they are always a few months out of stock.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:18 AM   #8
HopIowa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

can't comment on the out of stock issues, but i like mine. I'll post a pic of both side by side and you can see 'em. hopefully they both will be full of wort.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:24 AM   #9
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendavanza View Post
has anyone bought one recently? It seems they are always a few months out of stock.
I think they are made to order and ship in batches from China every few months in order to save on his shipping costs.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
Smeller
Recipes 

[QUOTE=Rackerman;2230101are you asking if they actually do hold pressure?[/QUOTE]

yes so I can do pressurised transfers

Quick Reply